• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF UCLA Research offset GMAT 49 Q?

Hi all,
I am considering applying to Carnegie Mellon's MSCF Program, however I don't want to waste my time if it is a sure-fire no. I am 3.85 GPA studying Math at Pepperdine, but I received GMAT Q49 (total 720). That is 85 percentile which obviously isn't great, but I did an Applied and Computational Mathematics Summer Research Program at UCLA and I have some equity research internship experience. For a program as competitive as CMU, does my GMAT and lack of FT work experience render the application a waste of my time?

All the best,
Garrett

I am asking because the average in 2009 was 48, 2010 was 49, but 2011 was 50. My TOTAL GMAT is 94th Percentile. I'm not sure you understood my question...I am asking about offsetting factors, and if they render the application worth my time.

Your GMAT math is low..no doubt about that..but that will not be the deciding factor.
I had a long feedback interview with CMU MSCF admissions (I was rejected). and they told me one of the main reasons was that my undergraduate math courses was not upto the mark. They specifically look for probability based calculus and if you have done well in that area then Bingo!!..standardized test scores are just a small part of your application, they look at the whole package.

take it again. what's the harm? based on your background it seems you have the capability to do much better. i know studying/money is a pain, but you wouldn't want to get rejected and look back and regret not retaking it.

You are right. I will have to retake it. It just seems that an adcom should be more concerned with four years of hard work than four hours on a saturday spent taking a test. But oh well.

Took it again. Got the same score. Q49 V40. I love my current hf internship, and my computational math research at UCLA was so intellectually rewarding that I really want to find some sort of quantitative research analyst job (even commodities research). With a solid GPA (top math student, but ironically some of my C math student peers are pulling 50-51Q) and good undergrad background I'm not sure what to do about GMAT score. 94% overall seems good for MBA programs, but obviously I will have to get a job before that...

Do you all suggest that I even apply to these MFE programs? Are MSF programs basically a waste of time? How does a non-target with solid undergraduate internship experience and a good GPA go about breaking into this industry? I'm almost at the point of giving up here.

Back