• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCLA vs. UCSD with Generous Fellowship

Hi,

I've been accepted to UCLA and UCSD. I'm waitlisted for Berkeley and I haven't heard anything from USC yet.

At UCSD I was offered a $55,000 fellowship and their tuition is $65,000, while at UCLA I was offered no financial support and their tuition is $75,000. What would be the better decision if it came down to the two schools? I know the average salary for UCLA MFE graduates entering the workforce is $100,000. UCSD doesn't have those statistics because their finance program is relatively new but their MBA program has an average salary of $75,000. I've read that the bump from going to top schools wears off over time. Is a $65,000 discount up front worth it? For what it's worth, the two schools seem almost identical as far as curriculum.

Thanks,

Charles

Last edited:
Hi When did you
Hi,

I've been accepted to UCLA and UCSD. I'm waitlisted for Berkeley and I haven't heard anything from USC yet.

At UCSD I was offered a $55,000 fellowship and their tuition is $65,000, while at UCLA I was offered no financial support and their tuition is $75,000. What would be the better decision if it came down to the two schools? I know the average salary for UCLA MFE graduates entering the workforce is $100,000. UCSD doesn't have those statistics because their finance program is relatively new but their MBA program has an average salary of $75,000. I've read that the bump from going to top schools wears off over time. Is a $65,000 discount up front worth it? For what it's worth, the two schools seem almost identical as far as curriculum.

Thanks,

Charles
Hi When did you have your UCLA interview? I would chose UCLA.

I video recorded some questions by means of Canvas. This was done in mid-December. Why would you choose UCLA?
The two schools are two different programs. If you wish to get into quant roles in a bank I would go with UCLA but if you are going with more of a finance job then UCSD. Could you give the link of UCSD’s curriculum I couldn’t find it

The two schools are two different programs. If you wish to get into quant roles in a bank I would go with UCLA but if you are going with more of a finance job then UCSD. Could you give the link of UCSD’s curriculum I couldn’t find it
Here is the UCSD curriculum: Curriculum | Master of Finance | Masters Programs | Rady School of Management | UC San Diego Ostensibly, it's very similar to UCLA's, but I'm sure there are differences.

Would you recommend a quant role at a bank or a finance job? I applied for finance/MFE programs because I'm interested in the topics. I'm not actually very familiar with the job market (though the money does sound nice).

ucsd's program is a joke... if its bschool's mba graduates can only make 75k on average (risk analyst jobs at big banks for fresh undergrad pay more than that), i can't imagine how poor its ms finance grad end up...

ucsd's program is a joke... if its bschool's mba graduates can only make 75k on average (risk analyst jobs at big banks for fresh undergrad pay more than that), i can't imagine how poor its ms finance grad end up...
Hi! That's just entry-level. I'm sure they make more over time. At UCLA, students that graduate from the MFE program make an average of $100,000 when the enter the workforce. So, paying the extra money might be worth it. However, I've heard that the bump from going to a better school wares off over time in your career, so maybe saving $65,000 up front might be worth it too.

Hi! That's just entry-level. I'm sure they make more over time. At UCLA, students that graduate from the MFE program make an average of $100,000. I've heard that the bump from going to a better school wares off over time in your career, so I was thinking maybe saving $65,000 up front might be worth it.
I wish I had some data on UCSD's finance graduates.

A quick LinkedIn search doesn’t show good results. UCLA is a very prestigious school and will give you great opportunities if you choose to work hard and get things done. I feel like this is the better choice
Hi! You're very kind to try a LinkedIn search! I never thought of that!

Going to UCLA despite its high relative (and absolute) cost seems to be the consensus opinion. I think as far as the quality of education per dollar spent UCSD is offering me the better deal. However, the prestige of UCLA will probably more than pay for the cost of tuition by means of better job prospects once I graduate.

Back