• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UIUC-MS Finance

Dear members

Can you please evaluate the Masters in Finance program at UIUC. I have got admit decision there and I want to know about the placement scenario there.

Also can you compare MS Finance program at Boston College and at UIUC??

If I recall correctly, you will be the first class to attend. The program is brand new.

I guess you are confusing between their newly introduced MFE program and their pretty old MS finance program. I had applied to the latter....

Again please help me get info about the program.. any help would be highly appreciated..

Hi

I too have an admit from UIUC and wanted to know if a recommendation for admission by the department means an admit? The email from the MSF department reads that the graduate college needs to confirm the admission via email. Is this is a formality or is there any further evaluation?

Thanks

Parasuram

Overall, Illinois has an extremely strong engineering college. In finance, it's considered a strong state school but not a top-tier "target" school for recruiting at investment banks.

It's a new program, but UIUC would probably be my next choice if I didn't get into a top-10 or target program. A lot of engineering and finance graduates from Illinois tend to land at Chicago prop shops and market-making operations, so UIUC defintely has a decent placement record.

Remember that a state school like UIUC considers itself primarily a research institution. Students are not the priority in the Engineering department, so be prepared to teach yourself a lot of the material on your own. The school usually sets pretty high standards on the exams, so you obviously need to go in knowing the material, but the professors aren't going to teach it to you that well.

Back