• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UK Govt to abolish student work visa

Well, according to the page 7 of the consultation report, Post Study Work route is about to be abolished.

Consequently, I see no purpose in enrolling a UK financial math course if you are non-EU, since you will be required to go back to your home country after the graduation to apply for a visa under the Tier 2 route. And no employer in this market is willing to go through the sponsorship process at the entry-level.

This is not the concern for financial math students only right?

Here is the part on page 7 referred to by @Novak. This whole proposal just reads like every international student's worst nightmare.

Ensuring students return overseas after their course
• Students wanting to remain in the UK after their initial course to extend their studies will have to show clear evidence of academic progression to a higher level. We are also considering whether such students should be required to leave the UK and re-apply from overseas.
• Close the Tier 1 Post Study Work route

This is not the concern for financial math students only right?

Sure, but unlike any other profession, aspiring quants face extreme competition where an administrative hurdle such as the visa one easily throws them out of the game. IT people, for instance, do not have to worry so much, since there is a plenty of companies willing to sponsor visas for good candidates. In their case, the demand is large enough.

Actually there has been some rumors about the US that US is going to toughen the restrictions on immigration so is it possible that US will also abolish such visas?

Actually there has been some rumors about the US that US is going to toughen the restrictions on immigration so is it possible that US will also abolish such visas?

Where did you hear/read this??

Ok..so no more post graduate work visas? This is insane! I think these reforms should filter out the undeserving candidates who indeed enroll in mediocre universities to get through the immigration and automatically get the work permit after graduation. What about those genuine students who just want to go study at reputed institutes and want to return to their home countries but only after working in the UK for say 2 years to pay off their loans? I mean non EU students take quite handsome loans to pay for college in UK (and I mean only the reputed ones with big brass on tuition fee). At least they should earn enough to reduce the deficit before they start out!! I am really disappointed. Hope there are amendments and rightly so not to discourage the right candidates...Else, the colossal overseas tuition fee at universities should be leveraged!

Where did you hear/read this??

dreamperwer partially answered your question on behalf of me. But I'll add something. I heard a news recently about one moth ago that US toughens immigration process and the congressmen are arguing whether that'll harm or benefit USA.The concern was not with the undergrad students. It was generally. So that's why I wondered if this process will more or less touch students also.

dreamperwer partially answered your question on behalf of me. But I'll add something. I heard a news recently about one moth ago that US toughens immigration process and the congressmen are arguing whether that'll harm or benefit USA.The concern was not with the undergrad students. It was generally. So that's why I wondered if this process will more or less touch students also.

I keep myself well versed in this sort of news and I have heard nothing.... Are you referring to news regarding illegals et al ? - this is always in the news

@atreides

No not illegals. The news is about the month or more old and I'll search that link later and post.

Back