• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UK University MFE MFM Comparisons

ZEE

Hi all,

I am interested in going to the UK to undertake either a MFE or MFM program. I understand that many UK universities offer MFMs rather than MFEs, and the danger is that some of these MFMs do not cover enough programming and foundation math which is crucial for quant/trading roles but go through more math theory subects, and I do not wish to fall into these pitfalls.

Can anyone recommend me a good UK university program which offers a good balance of math/programming/financial engineering modules?

Any opinions on the following programmes? and which of them are good to consider?

1) City University (Cass Business School): MSc Quantitative Finance, MSc Financial Mathematics, MSc Mathematical Finance and Trading ---> Between these 3 I am not too sure which one fits what I am looking for best, can anyone help?

2) Birkbeck, University of London: MSc Financial Engineering

3) Warwick: MSc Financial Mathematics

4) Leicester University: MSc Financial Mathematics and Computation

5) University of Reading: MSc Financial Engineering

6) King's College, University of London: MSc Financial Mathematics

7) Leeds: MSc Financial Mathematics

8) Uni of Birmingham: MSc Mathematical Finance

9) Exeter Uni: MSc Financial Mathematics

Sorry to all for the long list as I am just stating whats available in the UK.

Any advice will be appreciated, especially from those who are more clear about the UK quant master programmes.

Thanks

A quick look at the Cass business school programs and they all look very similar to me, but looking at the listed elective MSc Quantitative Finance and MSc Financial Mathematics seem to have more programming.

You may also want to consider the Imperial business school's MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering.

Oxford also has a MSc in Financial Economics but it looks light on the programming.

Also depends whether you will be looking for a job in the UK, Europe, US, etc afterward. If you want a job in the UK, look at each program's placement record if available. Otherwise you need to consider name recognition. For example, if I'm trying to get a job in the US more people have heard of Oxford than Leeds, at which point actual program content becomes a questionable point.

I know Warwick is well known for their MBA so that probably isn't too bad a choice. LSE also has a program in financial mathematics.

Being in/around London will be a plus when looking for a job.

What exactly do you want to do?

A quick look at the Cass business school programs and they all look very similar to me, but looking at the listed elective MSc Quantitative Finance and MSc Financial Mathematics seem to have more programming.

You may also want to consider the Imperial business school's MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering.

Oxford also has a MSc in Financial Economics but it looks light on the programming.

Also depends whether you will be looking for a job in the UK, Europe, US, etc afterward. If you want a job in the UK, look at each program's placement record if available. Otherwise you need to consider name recognition. For example, if I'm trying to get a job in the US more people have heard of Oxford than Leeds, at which point actual program content becomes a questionable point.

I know Warwick is well known for their MBA so that probably isn't too bad a choice. LSE also has a program in financial mathematics.

Being in/around London will be a plus when looking for a job.

What exactly do you want to do?

Hi Connor,

Thanks for your input. My plan is to probably work in UK (most probably London) for about 1-2 years after I have graduated before making a trip back to Singapore or Hong Kong to work.

My only concern is about entering into the right MSc course. Do you have any opinions on the rest of the programs that I listed on my first post? Like maybe Birkbeck? I know its located in London but so far haven't had much feedback on it. In fact for most of the programs that I listed I haven't had a lot of feedback on them, which is why I am checking if anyone in the forum is familiar with any of them.

My only concern is about entering into the right MSc course. Do you have any opinions on the rest of the programs that I listed on my first post? Like maybe Birkbeck? I know its located in London but so far haven't had much feedback on it. In fact for most of the programs that I listed I haven't had a lot of feedback on them, which is why I am checking if anyone in the forum is familiar with any of them.

In general British universities are less into tech than their American counterparts. In particular, British MFE/MFM programs will tend to concentrate more on theory than programming. So one suggestion might be to make sure there's enough emphasis on scientific computing in any program you're attracted to.

Back