• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergraduate help (Sophomore)

Hi,

I'm currently a Business Economics Major who is planing on minoring in Computer Science and Mathematics in preparation for MFE. I was wondering if you guys and gals give me some advice, it seems that Math and Computer Science double major is said to be the best preparation for the MFE programs. Thus, I was wondering if a minor in both Computer Science and Applied Mathematics will be enough to get accepted into a decent program or a structured finance position(with some networking) after undergraduate.

If it isn't to much trouble do you think the minors will be enough? Located below are the classes required for each minor.

Looking at the perquisites of the minors located
in red Red will meet some of the requirements

Applied Mathematics
Calculus I
Calculus II
Multi Variable Calculus (III)
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra

Applied Mathematics
Computer Algebra and Programing

Computer Science

Programming I ( Java)
Programming II ( C++)
Computer Architect and Assembly Language
Data Structures
Operating Systems
Algorithms * I don't know if this is a prerequisite*

The Economics Classes(for the Business Economics Major) would be
Intermediate Micro Economics
Managerial Economics
Intermediate Macro Economics
Money and Banking
Econometrics*Statistic requirement*
Economic Forecasting Techniques
+ 3 of my choosing

So, do you quants/future quants think this is enough to prepare me for MFE programs or a undergrad quant maybe even structured products?

It slightly depends on what you are interested in doing overall.

The CS minor looks adequate for admission but if you are interested in a more developer role where you would be primarily coding, then more is better.

But the math is not enough, you will need to take more math (either just extra classes or double major in math). To know which additional courses to take you can look at some other threads on the forum about this or just look at a few MFE program prereq requirements on their websites. Off the top of my head some courses you should consider are partial diff eq, stochastic calculus, and analysis.

At the end you have "+ 3 of my choosing". I don't know what you are planning or what is available but what you have listed below is light on finance courses. I would recommend a basic finance course and a course on derivatives at least

What's undergrad quant? lol

I always thought that is what that called a quant assistant who wasn't necessarily a quant because they didn't have a Ph.D lol, maybe they are called mini quants?

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

It slightly depends on what you are interested in doing overall.

The CS minor looks adequate for admission but if you are interested in a more developer role where you would be primarily coding, then more is better.

But the math is not enough, you will need to take more math (either just extra classes or double major in math). To know which additional courses to take you can look at some other threads on the forum about this or just look at a few MFE program prereq requirements on their websites. Off the top of my head some courses you should consider are partial diff eq, stochastic calculus, and analysis.

At the end you have "+ 3 of my choosing". I don't know what you are planning or what is available but what you have listed below is light on finance courses. I would recommend a basic finance course and a course on derivatives at least

Thanks a lot! Yea, I noticed the prerequisites vary from school to school. They all seem to push C++ and Mathlab :smt024

I have another question for you do you recommend a stats other then the basic stat class for every one and Econmetrics ?

More stat classes and econometrics are good to take, but it really depends on what you can realistically fit in and what is offered.

It's going to be hard to be a super-applicant all around (but not impossible, will just require taking more courses or lots of self-study). Your best bet is to be above min requirements for everything (finance, programming, math, stat, etc) and then go deeper in one area that really interests you.

You need to be able to show that you can handle the program and be successful afterward, while also differentiating yourself positively from other applicants.

Statistics, Probability and Combinatorics are very good subjects to show strength in (and usually necessary). Also pick up a book on brain teasers and/or Olympiad-type mathematics to improve your problem-solving abilities; this sort of thing is ubiquitous in quant interviews.

Undergrad help

Denyo, it's counterproductive to over-prepare at this stage. Get a sound foundation in math and statistics and concentrate on getting a summer job and then a permanent one. While I'm not a "real" quant (MS Stat from NYU), I can tell you that you're likely to absorb much more at the graduate level because you'll know why you're taking each course.

thanks so much guys much appreciated will take all your advice to heart

Back