• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergraduate School Advice

Hi,

I'm currently a senior in high school deciding on which college to attend. I think I want to major in mathematics or computer science because I have taken some higher level math classes ie diffeq and linear algebra, that I enjoyed. I have narrowed my choices down to two schools: Harvey Mudd College and Cornell University (College of Engineering). Of these two schools which is better in terms of being able to get a job in quantitative trading? I know D.E. Shaw and Citadel recruit at Harvey Mudd and Jane Street recruits at Cornell, but I have not been able to get a list of all the companies that recruit at HMC or Cornell. Does either school see a significantly larger portion of their undergrads go in trading or get a lot more recruiters from quant firms?

Thanks for your help

All things equal, I would say Cornell. Very strong alumni network on Wall Street, close-ish to NYC (they even run a bus from campus to Manhattan, and Cornell has/will have satellite campuses in the city for the MFE/Engineering).

Granted, I know very little about Harvey Mudd other than the fact that I know it is a very highly regarded engineering school.

You'll likely have more competition at Cornell, simply because of more people applying for Wall Street jobs, whereas at Harvey Mudd, I get the feeling that it will be the exception rather than the norm.

By the way, if a firm recruits at Harvey Mudd, it almost certainly also recruits at Cornell.

Don't think too seriously about stuff that will happen 4 years down the line. You may find that you hate math/CS once you get to college.

Unless you are able to get into MIT/Caltech you are not guaranteed a job at any of the top Quant Firms right out of Undergrad. Harvey/Cornell are decent engineering schools and doesn't have the same effect that signals you are an exceptional material rightly so.. The people who are recruited from Cornell/Mudd are students outperforming their peers with consistently high GPA & rigor of academics not by the virtue of being in Cornell/Harvey mudd per se.

The question you need to be struggling with is how can I be in the top 5% of my class and gaming for that.

Hi,

I'm currently a senior in high school deciding on which college to attend. I think I want to major in mathematics or computer science because I have taken some higher level math classes ie diffeq and linear algebra, that I enjoyed. I have narrowed my choices down to two schools: Harvey Mudd College and Cornell University (College of Engineering). Of these two schools which is better in terms of being able to get a job in quantitative trading? I know D.E. Shaw and Citadel recruit at Harvey Mudd and Jane Street recruits at Cornell, but I have not been able to get a list of all the companies that recruit at HMC or Cornell. Does either school see a significantly larger portion of their undergrads go in trading or get a lot more recruiters from quant firms?

Thanks for your help

Back