• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago MSFM University of Chicago MathFin Job Placement Stats

Many students were asking about the job placement stats for FinMath Chicago program. I asked the director of Career Development to share some employment stats for current class. I thought this is very valuable information for students considering this program, especially since the deadline is tomorrow. Here is the reply that I received:

For the Class of 2013 see below information and please note, I have been granted two additional hires for the Career office. So the goal is to have you and classmates, ready to interview and network. Because before you know it, the year will be up and we will be working (as a staff) very diligently to make sure our students land at the best employers.

To that end:

The Career office provides resume, cover letter, networking, resume referral and as a student you will have access to two career offices. Additionally, we work with our campus partners (i.e. Graduate Student Affairs, central PSD administration and Career Advancement) to provide additional events and resources that will round out your time while in the program.

For the Class of June 2013

94 Graduates (Chicago and Stamford only; 93% of graduating class were international students)
16 have not responded to the survey
This leaves us with information for 78 graduates and a response rate of 83% and of that number:

• 27 or 34% are employed as “Analysts” (i.e. hedge funds, banks, energy firms, trading companies, human capital org.)
• 21 or 28% are employed as “Trader” (i.e. energy firms, banks, prop trading companies)
• 11 or 14% are employed as “Quant Developer” (i.e. banks, prop trading companies, behavioral economics, Grosvenor)
• 10 or 13% are employed as “Consultants” (i.e. Clearing Houses, Deloitte, Navigant Economics)
• 5 or 6% are employed as “Risk Management” (i.e. CME Group, local prop trading firms, Banks)
• 4 or 5% are employed as “Research Assistant/Associate” (i.e. Booth, NBER, Milliman, Energy Firm)

Lastly, 55% of the 78 that responded found employment in Chicago and 14% work in their home country. Additionally, 2012 and 2011 numbers are consistent with this data for this time of the year.

I am just curious if this statistic will get U Chicago into top 10 programs. These numbers seem very solid for a program that's currently ranked 14th in the list.

I am just curious if this statistic will get U Chicago into top 10 programs. These numbers seem very solid for a program that's currently ranked 14th in the list.
There is no salary data posted. 55% get employed but with annual salary 10K dollars a year? I personally know a lot of Chinese go back China right after attending this program, so the average salary for them should be 20K dollars a year. So I guess that makes it a top 10 program?......

Basically all the Stamford students are current or ex-UBS employees. That might skew employment results a little?

Good job by @Artur Spivacenco but I wonder why these stats and of previous years are not published on their website. Prospective applicants should not have to ask for these data.
Andy, The person in charge of career development was hired 2 years ago. So, she is new and was working hard to get the career services started and expand. She doesn't even have this data organized in a nice report to send out, I'm guessing too busy and no time to do it, especially build a webpage for it. Next year they'll have 2 more stuff members who will help a lot, they are planning to place students into summer internships (program curriculum changed, extending it to 5 quarters).

There is no salary data posted. 55% get employed but with annual salary 10K dollars a year? I personally know a lot of Chinese go back China right after attending this program, so the average salary for them should be 20K dollars a year. So I guess that makes it a top 10 program?......
I was told about 14% go back to china so idk. Definately hard to judge but next year, with internship opportunities, placement will definately improve...

well, a reasonable guess is 48% found jobs (excluding ubs employees), 7% ubs employees (100% - 93% international students), 45% going back to china

Back