• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
University of Toronto - Master of Mathematical Finance

Toronto MathFin UofT MMF Students

• Thread starter Thread starter Dibbs
  • Start date Start date
What is your background ?
undergrad from CAD uni, 1 year experience as junior analyst in IB, GRE 800 (quant), I got admitted to many uni in US but my financial situation is horrible and I cannot get a loan without cosigner to study oversea (even though my parents are citizen of Canada, they are all in Hongkong and not working here) so I have no choice but to stay and study in canada

undergrad from CAD uni, 1 year experience as junior analyst in IB, GRE 800 (quant), I got admitted to many uni in US but my financial situation is horrible and I cannot get a loan without cosigner to study oversea (even though my parents are citizen of Canada, they are all in Hongkong and not working here) so I have no choice but to stay and study in canada
That serious sucks!

Do you have relatives in Canada?

I am sorry to hear that.

Is it not possible for your parents to take out the loan for you ?
believe me, i have tried all possible ways :) It is simply not possible to get such a loan without a cosigner with good credit and I've talk to the bank, they don't even want to give loan for MFE, the more common one is for medical school only

believe me, i have tried all possible ways :) It is simply not possible to get such a loan without a cosigner with good credit and I've talk to the bank, they don't even want to give loan for MFE, the more common one is for medical school only
Hope you hear from them soon Jondan!

Hello ,Dismantler,are you living in toronto area?
Yes, I correctly go to school in Toronto.

I mean if your parents are in China can you/they get a loan from China?

Tuition and living cost for one year study of MMF at least would be 35k (assume that living cost is 1k per month and you get internship). That's not a small amount of money.

From MMF website, it mentioned that "Canadian citizens and landed immigrants are invited to apply to ScotiaBank for a professional student loan on very favourable terms."
Probably after you get in, you can get loan from ScotiaBank.

Tuition and living cost for one year study of MMF at least would be 35k (assume that living cost is 1k per month and you get internship). That's not a small amount of money.

From MMF website, it mentioned that "Canadian citizens and landed immigrants are invited to apply to ScotiaBank for a professional student loan on very favourable terms."
Probably after you get in, you can get loan from ScotiaBank.
Oh yes, if I study in Canada there is no problem with getting that professional student loan because I worked and have a decent credit history in Canada, I am canadian btw

Oh yes, if I study in Canada there is no problem with getting that professional student loan because I worked and have a decent credit history in Canada, I am canadian btw

oh, I see

you are worrying about the tuition if you go to States, right?

hey guys I have completed the assingment as well as the interview but did not hear anything from them since then.. So frustrating with the wait, don't know why they take this long to process the applications

hey guys I have completed the assingment as well as the interview but did not hear anything from them since then.. So frustrating with the wait, don't know why they take this long to process the applications

I am waiting as well.
totally understand your pain...

I think it's because that there are 480 applicants this year.
I guess that's why it takes longer this year.

oh well, the interview was scheduled like very last minute, I had to take emergency leave from my work to attend it, and then it takes so long to wait for result, I really regret not applying to Waterloo this year

Wrote to Petra, her answer was:

Thank you for applying to the Mathematical Finance Program at the University of Toronto. The admissions committee is currently in the process of evaluating 480 applications. A selected group of candidates will be invited for an interview, either by phone or in person.Interviews are conducted throughout the month of March. After that, decisions are released by email starting mid-April. At this time, no final decision has been made on your application although you have not appeared on our interview list. Therefore it seems unlikely that you will receive an offer of acceptance to the Program.Regards,Petra_

Back