• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
University of Toronto - Master of Mathematical Finance

Toronto MathFin UofT MMF Students

• Thread starter Thread starter Dibbs
  • Start date Start date
if you are an international student, I believe that this is not possible since the visa will take a long time to process, I have a friend who is admitted to Waterloo and his visa take 2 months to process with a lot of documentations, you should highlight with them so they can communicate faster if they really have a spot open for you, mid july is really close to starting of the class
Yes, that's a problem.

Work hard and apply for US schools next year! my classmate whos accepted by toronto this yr doesnt have great gpa either. he would call us six times in a day right bfr the final project is due hoping to copy our work. his enrollment is already a joke among the math students at my school since many of us had bad class experience with him. i feel toronto is not being responsible for selecting students fairly (maybe im wrong). but at least most US schools emphasize on programming-skill shaping, which is something toronto doesnt offer. Cheers~ :)
yeah. mmf is not a good choice for those who have strong programming skills coz even if after graduation, there is few chance to touch the algo stuff.....

No, but I guess I have no opportunity in the other programs either..
don't worry Qunli, try looking for employment now, if they call you then it is good, if not then next year you are a stronger candidate with a year of work experience, a better GRE score and more credentials, i am sure you will get into a program of choice

don't worry Qunli, try looking for employment now, if they call you then it is good, if not then next year you are a stronger candidate with a year of work experience, a better GRE score and more credentials, i am sure you will get into a program of choice
Thank you. Good luck to both of us and all friends in this long thread. Work harder, keep hope, life is long enough that anything can happen.:)

Got admitted to U of Minnesota, Master of Financial Mathematics.

Hello Qunli, I too got admitted to U of Minnesota, MFM. My I-20 has majors written as Applied Mathematics and duration is 36 months.Do you happen to have an idea if it is correct?

Hello Qunli, I too got admitted to U of Minnesota, MFM. My I-20 has majors written as Applied Mathematics and duration is 36 months.Do you happen to have an idea if it is correct?
Hi Anuradha ! Please don't worry about this -- it is correct. Not all major titles are part of the SEVIS system and so sometimes we must assign the closest name possible to your actual major that is a SEVIS choice, in order to issue your I-20.

I have got my Visa! Good luck!

Hi Anuradha ! Please don't worry about this -- it is correct. Not all major titles are part of the SEVIS system and so sometimes we must assign the closest name possible to your actual major that is a SEVIS choice, in order to issue your I-20.

I have got my Visa! Good luck!
Ahh...Congrats! And thanks for the reply.Another quick one - how would you rate the programme? I happen to drop email to students already in the programme - but no reply, yet!

Hope to see you there!

Hi guys,

Anybody appliying for MMF uoft for Fall 2013? What are your backgrounds? Anybody going to info session?

gavchik hey, I plan to apply for Fall 2013. I have bachelors in math and fin. but so much in stats and C++. yeah I was gonna check out their info session see what they have to say.. haha

I heard the # of applicants keeps on growing every year...i.e. less chance to get it. Which school is your undegrad from?

Yeah i figureed that out reading threads from last year. I didn't graduate here in Canada. Came here after. I'm working in acctg now, but wana do something else. You?

I graduated from UofT 2 years ago, went into another non-finance related career but now thinking of going to finance ( in search of a better job). I hope they accept non-recent grads.

Applied last week. It was a relatively painless application compared to many of the US ones. Does anyone know how many people get interview invitations? I heard most people they're considering who are close to Toronto will receive interviews. I'm graduating from UWaterloo.

on info session they said about 150 (out of 500 applicants) get interviews and I heard that they actually prefer international students

Why would they prefer international students? I almost finished my application. Are you guys preparing for the UofT interview or UW test at all?.

Why would they prefer international students? I almost finished my application. Are you guys preparing for the UofT interview or UW test at all?.

less scholarships to go around, higher prices for them, more revenue for the university.

Back