• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Upcoming Open Source Release (hopefully soon)

Just wanted to update you guys on a project I'm currently working on for my mentor in Chicago, who I hope will have enough trading revenue to hire me at his new shop by the end of the year:

A hedge ratio calculator, which calculates ten different hedge ratios (not written by me--the functionality for interfacing with those hedge ratios WAS written by me, though).

They are: (Var being variance, not value at risk--remember, prop trading here)

minVar
stdPriceVar
stdReturnVar
stdPriceDev
stdReturnDev
regPrice
regPrcChg
regReturn
pcaRatio (principal components)
equal (aka to have equal cash amounts)

From what I hear, this should be useful to lots of traders out there.

Of course, it's all written in R, with quantstrat, qmao, financialInstrument, blotter, and all of that good stuff that you can find on R-forge.

This should (hopefully) be out this month, or at least by the end of this year. There was one other open source project I was working on whose purpose was to tie together different calendar month contracts into one indefinite series, but that's in the sandbox in Chicago atm.

Heh. Well, that's not set in stone yet. But I'm more or less training for it atm. I'm just hoping it materializes, b/c any other opportunity I've interviewed for has been completely meh by comparison.

Back