• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Update your Miktex software to 2.5 NOW

Editor

Andy, what editor do you use when you work with latex?
I would like to be able to use latex while in my office (Windows),
and the last time I tried WinEd + miktex I did not like it.

Re: Editor

e.kosygina said:

I recently installed 'TeXnicCenter' on windows, and it seems to work for me. The url to download is http://www.texniccenter.org/

Andy may know of better editor though.

e.kosygina said:
I used Miktex and Emacs the first two years in my PhD program and got pretty fluent with it but Emacs on Windows is way too complicated for its purpose. I posted reviews of several Tex editors a while ago
Andy said:
A very detailed page to read about what software and editor to use for Latex. http://www.stat.pitt.edu/stoffer/freetex.html
I have used TecNixCenter since then and was pretty pleased. The integration with Mixtek is extremely good. It's easy for new users and offers flexibility for experienced users. Winedit is not free and the integration with latex is not that good.

Editor

Thank you. I love Emacs , it is my editor of choice at home (Debian Linux).
But it might be a pain to get it fully functional under Windows, since I would also
want AucTeX. I shall try your suggestion.

e.kosygina said:
Thank you. I love Emacs , it is my editor of choice at home (Debian Linux).
Ditto. I have Emacs-Auctex running on my laptop on top of Ubuntu (Debian-based). I love it...
e.kosygina said:
But it might be a pain to get it fully functional under Windows, since I would also
want AucTeX. I shall try your suggestion.
Yes, it was a pain but possible. I had Emacs+Auctex+Ispell fully functional on XP for the last 2 years.
I use this guide http://www.math.aau.dk/~dethlef/Tips/introduction.html to get it installed....You can find it and many others on my page.
Also, check out the Bitstream Vera Sans Mono font. It's better for coding, texing purpose.

Editor

Many thanks for the links. Next time I get to Baruch and have some
time on my hands I shall try to do it. I am tired of ssh-ing to get
every tex document and to do every every correction.
Thanks again.

Back