• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

urgent background evaluation needed

Hello, All,
I was rejected evetually by CMU which makes me very desperate because i only applied to this school. I sincerely ask for your precious suggestion on my next step.
Here is I will graduate with PhD in computational astrophysics from a 2nd-tier university in the US which physics graduate school ranks about 20th. I have been working on modeling the interstellar medium using stochastic simulation. I believe my math background is a match for quantative finance, although the result is bad.
My undergrad GPA 3.2/4.0, grad GPA 3.6/4.0. GMAT 720, GRE Q 800. I know my GPA is a fatal problem. But provided with other positive aspects of my background, I have guessed I should not be rejcted by CMU. Could you please comment on my background? i know I may have underestimated the competition.
So what other schools should I apply to get an admission? of course, I am interested in Columbia MAFN, Cornell and Chicago. How much is the chance being admitted?
Please help me realizing the career change. I have already decided to go finance. This may be my last chance. Many thanks.

How solid were your letters of recommendation? In your statement of purpose, were you able to sell your story on how your are a good fit for the program and how the program will help you achieve your goals going forward? Do you have any "relevant" finance / quant experiences/internships? How much research did you do into CMU's candidate profile and QF in general? Each school has a different profile they look for!!

You may want to read this article that was posted here a few months ago.15 Reasons why Your MFE Application was Denied

You can always call CMU and ask why you were rejected.

My undergrad GPA 3.2/4.0, grad GPA 3.6/4.0. GMAT 720, GRE Q 800. I know my GPA is a fatal problem. But provided with other positive aspects of my background, I have guessed I should not be rejected by CMU.
At first glance, there is nothing impressive about those numbers. You may have very low verbal, AWA, TOEFL which may work against you.
The 15 reasons article is a good reading to see where you may have done badly.
So what other schools should I apply to get an admission? of course, I am interested in Columbia MAFN, Cornell and Chicago. How much is the chance being admitted?
The programs you mentioned are as different as night and day. It may have come off as you applying to them based on their names with little sound reason if they are a good fit for them or they are good fit for you.
Chicago and Columbia MAFN have many problems that are very well documented and commented on this site.

When you can't make a good case why you apply to a program, it's very easy to the admin to reject your application.

You can always call CMU and ask why you were rejected.

Are you sure about this ? Even I was looking forward to a feedback as to why my application was rejected.
Also, can I send am email instead ??

Thanks

This is an assumption on my part. I would assume if you were able to contact the right people, you could at least find out why you were not competitive enough to be shortlisted for admission.

disclaimer - I haven't applied to/ been rejected from CMU

Are you sure about this ? Even I was looking forward to a feedback as to why my application was rejected.
Also, can I send am email instead ??

Thanks

Andy,
maybe this is an abrupt request, buy could you please evaluate my application and give me some specific comments? many thanks

Most (if not all) will not go back and tell you why you got denied. Look at the FAQ on their website.

I don't have any suggestion specific to your case. My advice is to spend more time on your essay and find people who can write recommendation letters that speak of you highly in details.
There is nothing to do about GPA, GRE short of redoing it.
Of the programs you are interested in, have you ever thought of how you would go about getting a job once you got in? Career service at some of those programs are non-existent or spotty, last I heard.

Thanks Andy.
BTW, which schools do not have, or, have a poor, career service?
I guess Columbia math finance and Conell?

Go to the website of the program you are interested in. If they don't post detailed data on placement of their students, it's a first warning sign. Contact them and if they can't give you a straight answer, it's another warning sign.

And just because they post xx% of their graduates find jobs, it means little if you don't know how they derive that xx% number.

Back