• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

US College closes oversea MBA program due to rampant cheating

Some small comments about GRE Q tests ...

800 Quantitative GRE is indeed very easy ... many foreign educational systems do emphasize math/phy/engineering subjects even in middle schools. Actually the GRE Quantitative tests are basically the junior-middle school level Math in countries like China/Russia. It is basically a joke as a graduate school Q test...

Dude I think he is talking about verbal. Everyone knows it is not hard to get 800 on the quantitative. If I ace a french test, then later you talk to me in french, and I think you are speaking German, there is something wrong. Come on.

I think that's because of the test structure. It is a intelligence test, not a language test in essence. As long as they memorize the vocabs, it wouldn't be too hard getting a 600+. That's why ETS is restructuring the test, which would be much more challenging for the non-English speaking people.

I think most of the Chinese are not comfortable speaking English, but they can read and write. Some of them are actually working way too hard because of the language barrier so they don't have time to socialize with others. But it still seems wired how almost all the Asian students (not including Asian-Americans) are not as social. It just appears to me that they do not belong to the group.

That is a fair assessment Violet. The structure of the test does truly lend to rote memorization.

Dude I think he is talking about verbal. Everyone knows it is not hard to get 800 on the quantitative. If I ace a french test, then later you talk to me in french, and I think you are speaking German, there is something wrong. Come on.

I guess Andy was talking about both Q and V (a 800 Q score, and a high V score). The 800 part is about Q.

It is true that the correlation between the GRE verbal score and the actual English skill is not even close to 1.0 .... But on the other hand, suppose you and I have the same level of actual English skills, but I prepared better and got a higher V score. Am I guilty?

I think the complaint should be addressed to the people who designed the test. Students who are working hard (but no cheating, of course) to get a higher score did nothing wrong.

Andy's post:
So if you see someone got 800 Q GRE, high verbal score but can't write proper English, how do you explain?

NYTimes looks at what students perceive plagiarism in the digital age
Lines on Plagiarism Blur for Students in the Digital Age - NYTimes.com

Digital technology makes copying and pasting easy, of course. But that is the least of it. The Internet may also be redefining how students — who came of age with music file-sharing, Wikipedia and Web-linking — understand the concept of authorship and the singularity of any text or image.

Well, in terms of 800 Q on the GRE...not on the computer version. Get stumped on one question and you're not allowed to move on. At all. On paper, probably much easier.

As for "group discussion"...what the heck is wrong with discussion? If it helps you learn the material rather than struggling with it, getting it wrong, getting poor grades and not really understanding it, what the heck? I know I got tons of help in my last semester at Lehigh in the MS/PhD-level optimization course I took, said who helped me, and barely got the A, but all in all, got a lot of exposure to stuff.

As for cheating...go figure. WIth as much pressure in this economy as there is to succeed, are you really surprised?

As you may know, the computer version of the GRE insists that you chose an answer, even if you have to guess, so in that sense "you're not allowed to move on". Once you submit an answer, it gives you tougher questions if you are correct, and easier (and lower scoring) questions if you are wrong. It not that the balance of the test is lost.

Back