• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UW Seattle CFRM

Hello All! I have been admitted into the MS CFRM (Computational Finance and Risk Management) Program at UW Seattle. I like the content of the program and their approach to the subject. However, it does not seem to be as highly ranked as those run by Columbia, CMU, NYU, etc. I haven't heard back from Columbia Financial Engineering so I think they would have rejected my application by now. However, coming back, does anyone have any idea about the ROI of the program and whether it opens doors to top hedge funds in New York in terms of career opportunities.

Last edited:
Hello All! I have been admitted into the MS CFRM (Computational Finance and Risk Management) Program at UW Seattle. I like the content of the program and their approach to the subject. However, it does not seem to be as highly ranked as those run by Columbia, CMU, NYU, etc. I haven't heard back from Columbia Financial Engineering so I think they would have rejected my application by now. However, coming back, does anyone have any idea about the ROI of the program and whether it opens doors to top hedge funds in New York in terms of career opportunities.
It seems to have good placement, although I would contact alumni and current students to have more insight into this. Unfortunately, I don't think it is a good place for a hedge fund when compared to other universities.

It seems to have good placement, although I would contact alumni and current students to have more insight into this. Unfortunately, I don't think it is a good place for a hedge fund when compared to other universities.
Right. But is there any chance that I can network and find an opening in New York and convert that into a full-time role?

Right. But is there any chance that I can network and find an opening in New York and convert that into a full-time role?
I would say the chance is pretty pretty small for a hedge fund. For a regular job in NY i do think it is possible, you will have to compete with other Columbia/NYU/CMU/Princeton candidates so it is really up to you!

36% placement at graduation is horrific, regardless of how well graduates do a few months AFTER graduation

So there is no other 'high-probability' route to a top hedge-fund apart from going to NYU/CMU/Princeton/Columbia type Universities?

Back