• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Value of GRE Math Subject Test

Hey! Hope everyone's having a great evening,

For starters here's my profile:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently graduated from the American University in Dubai. The degree is business administration with concentration in finance.

GPA: 3.99 (Our grading scale is same as US standard)

GRE - Q: 800 V: 370 AW: 4.0

Here are relevant courses that I've taken. My grades were A in everything.

Math (6 courses):
- Calculus I
- Calculus II
- Multivariable Calculus
- Linear Algebra & Complex variables
- Probability & Statistics in Engineering
- Differential Equations

Programming, (just 1 course):
- Fundamentals of programming (This was all C++)

Finance (7 courses):
- Financial Modelling & Empirical Analysis
- Derivative Securities
- Investment & Portfolio Management
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Institutions Management
- International Trade & Finance
- Principles of Finance

Other Relevant Courses:
- Applied Econometrics
- Introduction to Business Statistics
- Quantitative Methods of Decision Making
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Now it's quite easy to spot the problems. There is no real analysis, numerical analysis/methods and some other stuff. I have however, self-studied analysis, numerical analysis, more advanced probability etc. so I was wondering whether doing the gre math subject test and scoring high would help rectify the lack of course-work in those areas.

From the threads I've read on this forum it seems that it's good to report this exam only if you score quite high.

The problem I'm facing is this: To get a high score, I would need to commit time to studying abstract algebra, number theory, discrete math etc, all these are areas of math I have not been exposed to before. This will leave me little time to continue studying material relevant to FE.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The GRE subject math test is only relevant if you're pursuing a masters or PhD in pure math.

What @peterruse said is probably true. Unless you're applying to a program that specifically requests it, you're better off studying more relevant subjects to FE than for the GRE Subject Test. I have a background that's pretty similar to yours, although with a few more advanced prob & stat classes and some stochastic modeling. I never took the subject test, or any of the classes that the subject test covers (discrete math, analysis, number theory, etc), and I got into all the programs I applied to. If you can, take another programming class, and maybe a more advanced probability class (i.e. in the math department)

Thanks everyone for your input & @Carlo congrats on your admits. I have canceled the proposed plan of doing the gre math!

Back