• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Value of MBA w/ Quantitative Finance specialization

NYU offers a quantitative finance specialization as part of their MBA program. While only 9 credits are required for the specialization, you have the ability to take all of your electives (27 credits) from the menu. In addition, it is possible to take up to 15 credits in electives outside of Stern with many of the NYU Math Finance couses qualifying.
I believe Tepper offers an MBA with a FE track, leading to a similar program as the custom one described above.

Please share your opinions about the value of taking this route (MBA w/all math finance electives) as far as opportunities in trading/portfolio management as well as other more quantitative roles.

I thought a lot about it. I was considering part-time MBA at Stern and doing all elective in quantitative.. I think if someone exactly know what part of quantitative finance s/he is interested, it may work.

i know of at least two BBs that have a lot of associate mba hires, practically none of whom are trading (they're all in sales or research or banking). if you're interested in trading/pm or "more quantitative roles"...then you do not want to do an mba (unless your background is a hard sciences phd or similar). citi more or less told a combined mfe/mba audience that they weren't looking to hire mbas for their desks, and that was two years ago.

an mba program doesn't really teach you anything that you couldn't pick up from either a) reading a textbook in plain english or b) thinking logically. don't be misled by an fe track or designation.

now, nyu and cmu both offer a dual degree. that could have potential benefits. but it's the fe part that will matter.

in short...i'm very short the mba degree.

I think you should choose one or the other. MBA is really about brand, networking and learning/refreshing your skills. An MFE is really something you need to dedicate yourself to. If anything, see if the school has an MFE-->MBA program. I know a lot of MSF programs have MBA joint degree options. Not sure about the MFE space, but I think that would be the better way to go about it.

I know a lot of MSF programs have MBA joint degree options. Not sure about the MFE space, but I think that would be the better way to go about it.

Both Columbia and NYU have dual degree programs that will allow you to get your MFE and MBA simultaneously (roughly). Columbia's program is a generic dual degree program that will allow you to get an MBA and any Masters in a two year time frame (I believe you have to do summer courses to finish on time but I'm not certain of this). NYU's program is specific to Courant and takes three years to complete. The first two years are spent studying full time (after which the candidate will receive an MBA from Stern) the final year is done part time (while the candidate works presumably) after which the Masters in Mathematical Finance from Courant is granted.

If you want to a mixture of MBA/MFE, you might also want to consider the MSOR program at Columbia. I know that program is far from the favorite on Quantnet, but I am in it now and you can do a mixture of MBA/MFE courses. As an example, I am taking Pricing Models for FE and a MBA finance course. Plus, you can always take more than the 30 required credits if you are interested in doing so (I am doing it). Just a thought.

Hey Forza

Is it worthwhile to apply for MSOR/MSFE for spring. I am asking you from the perspective of an international student. What do international students who apply then do during summer? I checked out the courses and it seems they don't offer too many courses. Please helps.
Thanks!

Back