• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

VaR of simulation of delta instruments deviates from the delta normal model

Hi. I am trying to understand why the value at risk from my simulation deviates from the value at risk based on the delta-normal model in which the 1 % VaR can be calculated as -2.33 * sqrt(delta^2*sigma^2).

The instrument is a european put option deep in the money. S_0 = 100, K=10000, T=1/365, r=0.04, sigma = 0.2 which can be priced with the black scholes model. The delta is -1 which is obtained from the black scholes model.

From my simulation i get a 1 % VaR of 2.419 and from the delta normal model I get 0.465.

The simulation is based on a geometric brownian motion to generate scenarios.
S_t = S_0 exp((mu-sigma^2/2)*t + sigma * W_t)

Does anybody have an idea as to what goes wrong?

it would be accurate if you add theta. i usually use delta + gamma + theta. but your gamma is probably 0 in this case.

Thank you @IntoDarkness. But I think the problem is somewhere else. Here is my code if anybody has time to look it over (It should give the results by simply running it all).

Last edited:
I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me by answering whether there is something wrong with my code or I have understood the theory wrong.

A deep-in-the-money option should have a 1-day VaR that looks like that of the cash position, unless the vol is really high. I assume the .2 is annualized.

You don’t say what the units are. USD? Percentage? What is the position size?

In general, I don’t think people will respond to many lines of code posted.

Hi Ken. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, the .2 volatility is annualized. The position is a single option S_0 = K = 100.

I am unsure whether or not I can compare the VaR estimated from monte carlo simulation where the underlying stock follows a geometric brownian motion with the VaR calucalted from the delta-normal model.

Hi Ken. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, the .2 volatility is annualized. The position is a single option S_0 = K = 100.

I am unsure whether or not I can compare the VaR estimated from monte carlo simulation where the underlying stock follows a geometric brownian motion with the VaR calucalted from the delta-normal model.
Both are parametric. For large n, the results should converge. (In fact, this is a favorite exam question of mine.)

Back