• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

VBA Question

I have a question which can probably be easily answered by anyone with VBA experience. I'm a bit of a dinosaur, so please bare with me.

I frequently implement Gaussian copulae in spreadsheets. Doing it in MS Excel makes not easy to explain to my students. I have a spreadsheet with a function that calculates symmetric eigenvalues and eigenvectors called SymmetricEigenvalues(N,covariance matrix range). I want to use this function in other Excel workbooks. I had assumed that I could simply create a new module in the other spreadsheet and port (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V) the code. This, however, does not work. What am I doing wrong? Is there a step-by-step set of instructions out there?

I had a lot of experience with the original Lotus 1-2-3 macro language, the newer Lotus 1-2-3 macro language, and the old (Excel 3.1 circa 1993) Excel macro language. By the time VBA rolled around, I was managing and no longer coding.

I once did VBA with Excel but it was a while back ... it's a bit hazy .. At the time the stuff by Axel Vogt was very useful

There might be something useful in there.

Haven't used VBA in a few years, but what I used to do:

Two options
1) You can drag and drop in the editor from one workbook to the other
2) Export the macro as a .bas and import it into another workbook

Example

Back