• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Verbal GRE

Hi,

I am planning to apply to several programs for next fall and I wanted to know if the verbal part of the GRE was really taken into account for the admission process?

I am currently doing a master degree in France in financial markets (ranked 6 in the world, 1st in Europe) and did a bachelor in mathematics and a first year master degree in mathematics (still in France). Moreover I have one year experience in banks (6 months in Paris, 8 months in London). My master is also totally taught in English.

However I totally missed my verbal part (145, also had 4.0 for the writing part) and did an okay quant part (167). Do you think I should retake the GRE or my profile is all right for the top programs in the US (Columbia MSFE and MAFN, Berkeley, Chicago, NYU, MIT, UCLA, Boston).

Many thanks for you help,
Riggins

I am more concerned on your GRE Quant part than your verbal part. Verbal is not important at all, but that quant is not really adequate for top schools. You should aim for 169 to 170 for top schools.

Indeed, 169 or 170 for GRE Quant part is safer. For Columbia MAFN in 2019, average GRE verbal score is 160.0 and quant score is 169.1 (statistics are get from its website). You can make your decision on whether retaking GRE or not based on these infos.

Back