• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Submit GRE Scores with weak verbal?

Hi all, thanks for reading the post in advance, really need advice on this issue.

I have applied to Columbia MFE and MaFN, NYU Math in Finance and MFE, Uchicago Fin Math, and most of them did not require the GREs hence I did not submit my scores.

However, I ended up doing the GREs for my MIT MFin and CMU MCF application, and ended up getting:
Verbal: 147 (29th percentile) Quant: 170 Analytical Writing: 4.5 (81th percentile)

I know the verbal score is severely under average, however I do not have a spectacular GPA (around 3.7/4 on the dot) but have a decent portfolio in other areas (top school in country, internships at bulge banks and funds), etc.

So the question I have: should I be submitting my GREs given my weak verbal score?
Another question: I have gotten an admit to an internship at a reputable fund in the summer of 2024. Should I indicate this on my resume as well and update it with my applications since it would boost my profile?

Thanks once again in advance!

Last edited:
I’m in the same situation. Didn’t do well for the essay but verbal was 80th. Would like advice too

I personally would, but not 100% sure. I’ve noticed that a lot of programs say that the GRE is optional but definitely reject a proportionally higher number of candidates without it than with it based on the tracker and what I’ve heard from a few admissions folks. Also, if you look up a lot of the class profiles, they only really track the Q portion of the test.

Back