• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

VISA

Hi all, i would like to take out a topic for all of us to discuss. Please feel free to add your opinion.

Studies in USA is undoubtedly is one of the best boost up to one's resume. Be it a phd or a masters. But it costs heavily to be a part of this priveleged group of advance degree holders.
A loan is (in most cases) inevitable. And repaying back that loan is not easy too.

So what would the advice of the people be, who have already done it all.

Case1: Once received an admit, take a loan from your home country.
Case2: Fly to the University and then take a loan from there.

which is better, the best would be if someone is ready to sponsor you (parents, brothers, sisters uncle, etc.)
Because i have heard that the VISA people would not be happy to see you taking a loan to study. How true is this.

Share your views.

Thanks and Regards
Ashish Tare

You have to show sufficient amount of money to obtain an I20. Then, you go on to obtain the F1 visa. So you can't go to the US without first getting a visa. That usually means take out loan from home country or from family fund. Plenty of people do that and have zero problem with the US embassy.

My opinion is if your loan is back home, rather than oversea, it shows that you have an obligation back home to come back home after graduation. But the fraction of US graduates who come home to work is relatively small. Of those small group, rarely the choice is theirs.

true andy ...
good point about relevance of ties back home, when taking a loan from home land.
can we have certain students who have already been through this process, comment here.
Is it advisable to show that you have taken loan, i have heard it is risky. And have seen many people oping not to show it, even if they have taken one, reasons best known to them :)

Second part of my question is:
Which would actually beneficial.
Taking loan from home land or after we reach.

I mean for both in case i convince some one to be a cosigner or without a co signer.
Which is advisable.

Thanks,
Ashish Tare

Back