• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Warwick or bristol for maths and cs? International student who has a scholarship from one uni (I want to work in Quant or AI/DS)

So I live in UK, but am an international student, got into imp, warwick, bath and bristol for maths and cs

London and imp is too expensive for me, so out of my budget after considering how expensive london is to live in

Warwick is where I wanted to go, great for maths and cs, will leave me with good employment chance, i had also hoped that i could maybe get a scholarship at warwick

Which I didn't, got the email just now that i have been rejected.

I have a £6500 a year scholarship at Bristol

warwick for the 3 years would cost me £93000 and bristol for 3 years would cost me £67500

I want to go warwick as its better at maths and I think i would have better employment opportunities

Do you guys think I should go to warwick over Bristol considering there is a £25000 gap in the price?

Like is the £25000 a good investment for my career? I am thinking of getting into quant finance roles maybe, maybe even investment banking or data science /AI.

Please don't comment about how I won't be able to get a job on the sponsorship visa etc pls cuz that is all sorted, not a worry for me.

Thanks for hearing me out and thanks for any help

I'm not all too familiar with UK but at the quant firms I worked in, I seen more imperial and warwick students than Bristol if that means anything. The difference in tuition is neglible in my opinion considering internships in the US at good quant firms are paying sophomores $60k+ USD + housing/food in just 10 weeks. 25k is a small amount to invest in a career, I would do it even if it's 1% better.

I'm not all too familiar with UK but at the quant firms I worked in, I seen more imperial and warwick students than Bristol if that means anything. The difference in tuition is neglible in my opinion considering internships in the US at good quant firms are paying sophomores $60k+ USD + housing/food in just 10 weeks. 25k is a small amount to invest in a career, I would do it even if it's 1% better.
Thanks a lot for the response, Warwick is really good for maths and thus its great for quant, so i will probably go to warwick, just wanted to ask what others think about the extra £25000.

25K is a lot if you don't have it.
I recall my undergrad maths degree cost 300 per year.

My parents do have the money, I just want to figure out if its worth it, if you get me
It's worth it if you can get a job paying several times that amount after graduation. With a Math/CS undergrad degree, what is the employment stats coming out of Warwick? It's not clear to me what public numbers they have for us to provide a good answer.

It's worth it if you can get a job paying several times that amount after graduation. With a Math/CS undergrad degree, what is the employment stats coming out of Warwick? It's not clear to me what public numbers they have for us to provide a good answer.
Yh idk either, ive seen very varying answers, ive seen ranges between £30K and £50K and sometimes £60K
again i think its highly dependent on the individual, ive contacted a few current students and they have offers for £50K and some for even more.
So predicting salary is very tough.

I do feel I seen a few Warwick math/cs grads working at Optiver/IMC Amsterdam and Jane Street London; not too familiar with comp at those offices as its usually less than their US offices but pretty confident it's some multiple of £50K

I do feel I seen a few Warwick math/cs grads working at Optiver/IMC Amsterdam and Jane Street London; not too familiar with comp at those offices as its usually less than their US offices but pretty confident it's some multiple of £50K
50K won't go very far in Amsterdam.

You should know what multiple means

Amsterdam trading graduates at the likes of imc, optiver, flow etc are on around €150-250k.

They also arent going to care whether u went to bristol whether u went to warwick, if u can pass the interview they will hire u.
thanks for your input, ive heard that these big firms almost screen the candidates on the basis of which university they are applying from, is there truth to that?

thanks for your input, ive heard that these big firms almost screen the candidates on the basis of which university they are applying from, is there truth to that?
Banks and hedge funds do, trading firms not so much. Theres not much difference in warwick and bristol prestige wise tbh

Banks and hedge funds do, trading firms not so much. Theres not much difference in warwick and bristol prestige wise tbh
warwick is better at maths, thats the main thing that I care about, but lets see what happens, thanks for your help.

I vote Warwick solely because the smartest maths guy I know at St. Andrews was really happy for his friend when the friend got in there. If you put in your time and learn the material, prepping for a job (or academia, just generally put in good three years of work towards what your goal is) I don't think the extra cost will come out to bite you.

I vote Warwick solely because the smartest maths guy I know at St. Andrews was really happy for his friend when the friend got in there. If you put in your time and learn the material, prepping for a job (or academia, just generally put in good three years of work towards what your goal is) I don't think the extra cost will come out to bite you.
yh its a top school for maths so i agree, thanks for your input

Back