• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Weekly Hours required for Pre-MFE program

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to take Pre-MFE for this Fall. I'm working as a full time software engineer which requires daily commitment of atleast 4 hours.
How does commitment look like for one course? I'm at crossroads for taking 2 courses vs 3.
Thanks in advance.

I took 3 of the pre-MFE courses in fall/spring last year while working full-time so I can give a bit of perspective on this. During the first session, I took only the calculus course. The lecture typically went 3-3.5 hours and then the homework would take me nearly an entire day on the weekend (I'd say about 10-12 hours). I took the introductory C++ course concurrently with the probability seminar in the second semester. To finish both over the 8 weeks required me to spend most of my week nights working on C++ and I dedicated a day to each on the weekend. Doing two of the courses simultaneously while working full-time is definitely doable, but will be a significant commitment. I knew a few people doing probability, NLA, and C++ at the same time while working full-time. It is possible, but I would imagine that all time outside of work would be completely consumed by the courses. On average each course is probably about a 15 hour a week commitment. Feel free to DM me or message on here if you have any other questions.

I took 3 of the pre-MFE courses in fall/spring last year while working full-time so I can give a bit of perspective on this. During the first session, I took only the calculus course. The lecture typically went 3-3.5 hours and then the homework would take me nearly an entire day on the weekend (I'd say about 10-12 hours). I took the introductory C++ course concurrently with the probability seminar in the second semester. To finish both over the 8 weeks required me to spend most of my week nights working on C++ and I dedicated a day to each on the weekend. Doing two of the courses simultaneously while working full-time is definitely doable, but will be a significant commitment. I knew a few people doing probability, NLA, and C++ at the same time while working full-time. It is possible, but I would imagine that all time outside of work would be completely consumed by the courses. On average each course is probably about a 15 hour a week commitment. Feel free to DM me or message on here if you have any other questions.

Thank you for the reply, Kevin, it is useful for me to know this as well.

Back