• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What are the best QF masters for positions in the US ?

Hello guys !

I'm a bachelor student (originally econ major) trying to pivot to a master in quantitative finance ! I would like to go for a Quantitative analyst position in HF in the US, and eventually (if necessary) going for a PhD in the US before that.
In your opinion, what would be the best degrees for such paths, both in Europe and the US (and specifically Europe because it us usually more affordable).
Thanks a lot guys !

For MFE type degrees in Europe:

In the UK you've got Oxford, LSE, Imperial.
Paris has Several great options, and this thread seems to hold up over the years. French MFE Programs
Switzerland has ETH Zurich which people say is quite challenging mathematically, more theoretical than the US counterparts for sure; measure theory might be required, but don't quote me on that.

You can also go a non-mfe-type route, but I'll trust you know which schools to look for in that domain.

For MFE type degrees in Europe:

In the UK you've got Oxford, LSE, Imperial.
Paris has Several great options, and this thread seems to hold up over the years. French MFE Programs
Switzerland has ETH Zurich which people say is quite challenging mathematically, more theoretical than the US counterparts for sure; measure theory might be required, but don't quote me on that.

You can also go a non-mfe-type route, but I'll trust you know which schools to look for in that domain.
Thanks a lot for your answer ! It is very insightful, I'll have a look at these programs.

On a similar note, do you have any information about the Master in Quantitative Finance and Economics at St Gallen (Switzerland) ? It's apparently well ranked, but I don't really know how it compares to its european counterparts...

Thanks again for your answer !

I prefer the US over the UK because the UK has only 1-year programs and I think that its too short and you hardly get time to study and also find a good placement.

I was going to apply to ETH Zurich but ultimately decided not to because of visa issues of Non-EU Country Citizens. As Mike said it's a very challenging program but I also couldn't find much info on grads who are currently working in quant firms.

If you think 1 year is good enough for you then the UK for sure has some great schools.

On a similar note, do you have any information about the Master in Quantitative Finance and Economics at St Gallen (Switzerland) ? It's apparently well ranked, but I don't really know how it compares to its european counterparts...
No idea. I think there is another user on QN who is at St. Gallen for his undergrad, but I'm not going to @ him and ask for anonymity reasons. I'll reach out separately and see what he thinks.

Back