• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What course should I take to become a good trader?

I have graduated last year from secondary school I wish to know the course or subjects I should do to become a good Trader.I think about that every days and night and still hasn't got an answer.I don't know if starting with an engineering course will be advantageouse or not.I really need help and a definite answer to this question to be sure to have a correct pathway in my studies.
Thanks in advance for any replies!!

I have graduated last year from secondary school I wish to know the course or subjects I should do to become a good Trader.I think about that every days and night and still hasn't got an answer.I don't know if starting with an engineering course will be advantageouse or not.I really need help and a definite answer to this question to be sure to have a correct pathway in my studies.
Thanks in advance for any replies!!

to be honest, you should become really good at programming and i mean really good. there are some firms who require their trader to know gpu programming and some really really good shops even fpga.

if you are looking to enter entry level, most firms don't actually want you know anything before hand. generally a person who has very strong quantitative skills and programming skills (i may be bias because i'm more into quant trading). but this is the impression i got when for every trading position i interviewed for (even non-quant firms, they wanted a good math guy). something like market micro-structure is great to know and volatility surface

Which course should I start with to be good in programming? Are there alternative courses? From your response you also mean I must do alot of mathematics?
Excuz me but I'm a bit confused.

Honestly it does not matter what you do.

The job is quite simple, buy low sell high, sell high buy low.

Some of the best traders I know(in the words of Gordon Gecko), don't know the difference between preferred stock and livestock(they got shitty fundamentals), and they make shitloads of money.

Trading is all about timing and experience, at least for intraday traders that is.

You might go for a finance major to build your fundamentals or Science major for the quantitative skills, but trust me what you learn in class won't help you much in the trading pit. The market can be irrational and drive you insane, I've seen rallies on bearish news and sell-offs on bullish ones, unintelligible convergence and divergence, total correlation to inverse correlation.

If you want to become a good trader, start by opening Candlestick Charts everyday and make paper trades. Try Brent Crude, the market is never dull. You will learn a lot more about the market than you will ever do with a PHD in Financial Engineering(no offense intended to the PHD Quants). There are also lots of fantasy trading game online, sign up.

Do that everyday until you graduate and you will land a trading job, guaranteed(and wave your social life goodbye).

Hi, Ken,

What do you think makes a good trader. When banks hire entry-level assistant traders, do you know what qualities people are looking?

Back