• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What do I do?

Thank you Williams.

can anybody plz tell me how is the placement at University of Michigan MSFE program coz des days the ranking of the program is slipped which was better 2 yrs back...... Thanks in advance

can anybody plz tell me how is the placement at University of Michigan MSFE program coz des days the ranking of the program is slipped which was better 2 yrs back...... Thanks in advance
I got a mail for the Umich admission office stating their placement was 20%. I was admitted to Umich this year i rejected it bcoz of poor placements and location.

I got a mail for the Umich admission office stating their placement was 20%. I was admitted to Umich this year i rejected it bcoz of poor placements and location.
Thanx for the information, and what about Placement at NYU or Rutgers(Math.Finance)? if u can help me out on that

http://financialeng.engin.umich.edu/careers.html

The positions are very regional (Indiana, Iowa, Chicago, Michigan, Florida) and many graduates end up back home in Asia. NYC positions are a small fraction. Salary is in the 85K range.

20% job placement is extremely poor but kudos to them for disclosing the info. These numbers should be public and readily available on their website. Can you post the email for the part that has relevant info?
Andy this is the mail i received from them....

The figures compiled for Fall 2009 graduates: 20% responded with job placement details upon graduation.
I cannot access figures for more recent grads (Fall 2010) because the site is down today. Internships for Summer 2010: 49% reported internships.

Thanx for the information, and what about Placement at NYU or Rutgers(Math.Finance)? if u can help me out on that
Well I dont know about NYU... But here is the part of mail which Rutgers admission committee gave me..

"Thank you for your email. I understand that coming to the US is a significant step and I am happy to answer your questions regarding job placement: The class size was 50, and about 90% of our students participated in the placement survey. Out of those 90% that responded, 100% are employed in the field."

But when i contacted a Current student in Rutgers math finance he said that this info may not be true..I am really confused here. But he also told me that the program in really good and the rigor of the program is what sells it..

20% job placement is extremely poor but kudos to them for disclosing the info. These numbers should be public and readily available on their website. Can you post the email for the part that has relevant info?
Ya I had to mail them four times to get this info

What does it tell you, @kichuxj
I'm sorry but if I'm paying $50K+ to buy something, I don't have to beg you to give me some more info on it. That does not sound right.
And I don't even know how accurate the info is.
Andy I have to say most of the programs are very secretive when it comes to placement info. Seriously they expect students to take a 100K$ loan and dont give them info..Boston university bluntly said that they are not going to give any more info than what is displayed in the website. As a matter of fact even Columbia's placement info is not accurate..

It sounds like a list of warning signs to stay away from these programs.

As a rule of thumb, take the numbers post on their website and try to verify it with at least 3 students of that graduating class. You can use LinkedIn to search for them. You will be surprised to see what they will tell you privately.

If the numbers are too good to be true (100% placement rate), they usually are.

This one?
Technically, there isn't much one can do to prevent people from showing their mastery of the English language. Fortunately, that kind of post pops up once in a very long while. I have to give credits to most of our active posters who are matured professionals. They help set a proper tone on the site as far as the proper language is concerned.

@hariadya

you need a reality check. You have no idea what you are talking about. Why do you e-mail them six times?what do you expect them to say?
Besides I know people from VTU , and I know all to well about India's local colleges and their quality.(Just to be clear I am from IIT Delhi, computer science)

@lonely: yes, bcos i wanted to know what the reality is.. to understand why i failed to secure a seat and learn from the failure..
And good that you know about VTU and I too know abt VTU compared to other colleges..

Regards,
Hari

Where has Michigan's ranking slipped? I'm considering going there and have done a lot of research but haven't been able to find any rankings less that two years old. Also, if anyone one the forum goes there, or knows anyone who does, it'd be great to get some inside perspective.

Where has Michigan's ranking slipped? I'm considering going there and have done a lot of research but haven't been able to find any rankings less that two years old. Also, if anyone one the forum goes there, or knows anyone who does, it'd be great to get some inside perspective.
I talked to couple of current students in Michigan.. they said it pretty had to find a full-time job there and its not worth taking a big loan to study this course there.

"And good that you know about VTU and I too know abt VTU compared to other colleges."

I am a computer science graduate too (India) but sadly never ever heard of VTU. Where is it located?

Back