• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What do prop firms like to see?

Getting my BS in mathematics and I've been meticulous in my course selection.

I'm trying to choose a grad school. UChicago, UIUC, and Baruch are obvious choices. But are there any other programs I should include in my list of apps if my goal is to maximize my chances of getting into a prop shop?

Also, do you think they'd like an applicant from a different sort of quant program such as Duke's master of quantitative financial economics?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't speak to prop shops, but here's a good starting point . . .https://quantnet.com/mfe-programs-rankings/

Also, it's not clear the 3 you list would be the 3 most obvious for me. One of those, definitely, another, potentially, but the third has a solid but not stellar reputation. . .

Thank you. Yeah I've been through the rankings. But I also know prop trading is hard to get into from any school so I'm trying to tailor a bit. I assume you speak of UIUC. I mentioned them because they seem to have at least a few go into prop trading every year, and you don't see that in every program. Being near Chicago can't hurt.

From my experience prop firms are more concerned with how smart/quick you are, and there's less focus on pedigree. Not that that isn't important somewhat but the most important thing is passing their coding challenges/brainteasers/interviews.

UChicago is probably the best out of the three you listed, not to mention it gives you proximity to the myriad of Chicago prop firms.

Thank you! I've heard that but it's good to know there's a good deal of consensus on it.

most top prop shops hire smart undergrad. interview is usually loaded with brain teasers and probability questions. they also throw in concept you may not know and try to see how you respond by relating it to things you are familiar with

UChicago definitely gives you the best chance if you want to get into a prop shop. Location is the key.

Yeah thanks guys. Chicago is my first choice. If RIsk.net is any indicator, their acceptance is reasonably high (17%). And given that probably 20-30% of those denied don't meet the base prerequisite education requirements, with the right coursework and some hard work, I should be able to get a decent shot at them.

Good luck! Is Chicago the best place for prop shop recruiting because there are more prop shops in Chicago, or the curriculum is particularly well suited?

The curriculum looks fairly bomb, dude. They have a class SPECIFICALLY for quantitative forex strat which is something I'm particularly interested in. Kind of a unicorn.

Location is pretty irrelevant. They give you online assessments then Skype/phone interview. All the advanced concepts you learn in grad school aren’t really covered in the interview. They just test brain teasers coding and probability. They only care about how smart you are and for some companies your coding ability.

Back