• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What do you guys think of these 2 programs?

bcc

Hi,
I'm a first time poster here. I enjoy math and like to think that I am very good at it, and I think I may be interested in a career in quantitative finance. Emory University has two programs that have caught my eye, one is a four year BS/MS in Math and the other is a four year BS/MS in Math and CS. Info about these two programs is available at: http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/programs-undergrad/deg-math-bsms.php
Would these degrees alone be sufficient for any quant jobs? I kind of doubt it...
Would these help if I decide to apply for an MFE program?
Would these coupled with a math phd put me in a good position for quant jobs?

Basically I am trying to figure out how Emory is viewed in finance as a whole, and particularly in quant finance. Is this program a good idea, or would I be better off with a strict math major or math and cs joint major?

Any opinions would be appreciated

Either could be enough for a quant position but you would want to do a few internships.

Both would help for MFE admissions.

Don't do a PhD just to get a quant job.

The BS/MS combination is really nice, but the math doesn't require much cs and the joint cs/math doesn't look like it requires very much math. I would recommend doing one of the BS/MS degrees with extra courses or a minor in the other subject. For example, do the BS/MS in math and get a minor in cs.

Okay, thank you. And I definitely would not get a Phd just to get a quant job, if I do I will do it because I genuinely enjoy math.
And how is Emory's reputation in the quant community?

Emory has no reputation in the quant community. A lot of people haven't heard of it. Many will simply ignore it.
You make a reputation for yourself, school does not make reputation for you. Every school produces gems and duds.

Do something that sets you apart and above those thousands of Emory graduates and you have a better chance at "reputation".

Will going to Emory hurt me when it comes to applying for internships and jobs? I know we get Goldman, JP Morgan, Suntrust, etc. on campus, but you make it sound as though having gone to Emory may hurt me.

You asked "how is Emory's reputation in the quant community?"
You refer to Emory as a whole university. I answered that no university as a whole has reputation in the "quant community".
The MFE program from university ABC may be known as a good program among the few people familiar with ABC MFE.
Emory is in Atlanta and don't expect to have the same number of opportunities available to students in NYC.
Do the banks that come to your campus recruit for quant finance positions? How many grads of the two programs end up in quant finance?
That would be a better indication of the program suitability for you.
If you look for jobs in Atlanta, which firms are hiring and which positions you want to get?
These are local questions that are better answered by someone who know that market.

I am a graduate of the Econ/Math joint degree from Emory and am headed to a top MFE program this spring.

I think within the general finance community Emory has name-brand recognition due to the Business school. As stated before, though, you make you own way. These programs you are interested in, I can tell you, aren't geared exactly towards a future as a quant. If you do enroll in one of those programs, you may want to take Goizueta Business School classes or the Econ/Math program. However, take all this with a grain of salt, as a large part of my academic strength in getting in to the MFE program was due to my Columbia Masters program I just completed.

Whether you can get a quant role straight out of undergrad is highly dependent on:

1) Whether hiring companies even look at your school. Apparently they do...
2) Your passion for the subject as evidenced by your choice of electives and outside reading/study.
3) Your ability to sell #2 in a resume/phone screen/interview.
4) Brain teasers. Unfortunate truth.

Back