• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What does it take to get into a decent MFE program?Help!

Hello All,

I'm David. As I have loved both math and finance, I thought MFE program was way to go. However, I was rejected by several MFE programs and MIT MFin program. I was frustrated and so eager to know what does it take to get in? I have a bachelor degree in mathematics with a 3.78 GPA with honor status and I got 170 GRE Q+143 GRE V. I understand I didn't have any finance course, but can I just pick them up during the program? I was just wondering what are admission committee looking for and how competitive it is for a good program like say Columbia MF, which I was rejected by? Could anyone give me some suggestions of improving my chance of getting in for next year? Really appreciate it.

Btw, I also have decent amount of campus activities, which I thought grad school would care, but now I doubt it.

I applied kinda of late too, in January, could that be another reason?

Sincerely,

Do you have any experience? (Relevant internships/work - in a math/actuarial/financial setting)
What is your programming background?
400V GRE seems pretty low.

Math/programming seems to have a greater weight in the application process than finance.

I have some finance summer internship experience, but was not that decent, merely just for figuring out my interest. I have done 1st actuary exam. It was actually 143 in revised version, But do they even care about the Verbal part?
I really regrat didn't get a CS minor in college, I thought programing was just extremely essay I can just learn it quickly. I ditched my only CS class but stilled got an A. So lame that I have to prove every ability with sort of formal credential.

Thank very much for your replaying!

I'm sure they don't care too much about verbal score - but, having less than the 50th percentile doesn't look stellar. To prove your worth in programming, maybe take the C++ course offered here on quantnet or try to take on a computational programming role at work.

To sympathize with your situation, I wish I had a math minor/major lol. I did finance and an MBA, which doesn't seem to be enough to get into any of these programs either. Rough life.

Back