• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What is the best Visual C++ .Net book I should start with?

Isn't the above book good?

It's a very good book (I have the 2008 version rather than the even heftier 2010 one). But I would not recommend it to someone starting out on C#; as we say in English, "horses for courses." The problem is you get lost in an avalanche of detail when you're only trying to understand the core constructs of C#.

(By the way, I assume you mean the book by Troelson, published by Apress.)

It's a very good book (I have the 2008 version rather than the even heftier 2010 one). But I would not recommend it to someone starting out on C#; as we say in English, "horses for courses." The problem is you get lost in an avalanche of detail when you're only trying to understand the core constructs of C#.

(By the way, I assume you mean the book by Troelson, published by Apress.)

Exactly that version. I learned the 2010 version when starting out on C# and it was very good. I don't know if you mean the simple anatomy of C# constructs in "understanding core constructs of C#" but it gives you very deep knowledge of the language itself. Really great book.

Which ones? Not all the ones recommended on this thread are good.
Actually,
I went through Amazon and I think I'll get this one (what do you think about it?):
Programming C# 4.0 (Animal Guide)- Ian Griffiths

I'm assuming
Programming C#: Building .NET Applications with C#

Programming .NET 3.5

Learning C# 3.0

are just older versions of the first book.

There is also:
Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform as @Tsotne is suggesting.

I don't know if the book CLR via C# is good for a beginner.

Actually,
I went through Amazon and I think I'll get this one (what do you think about it?):
Programming C# 4.0 (Animal Guide)- Ian Griffiths

I'm assuming
Programming C#: Building .NET Applications with C#

Programming .NET 3.5

Learning C# 3.0

are just older versions of the first book.

The first one is okay, and one of the better ones. However you will learn the basic constructs better from the fourth (Learning C# 3.0) as it doesn't try to be encylopedic and is oriented more towards newcomers. Jesse Liberty explains things clearly.

If there are two books I would recommend, they would be:

1) C# 4.0: The Complete Reference. Herb Schildt, and published by McGraw Hill.

2) C# in Depth. Jon Skeet, published by Manning (and make sure you get the recently published 2nd edition).

If there are two books I would recommend, they would be:

1) C# 4.0: The Complete Reference. Herb Schildt, and published by McGraw Hill.

2) C# in Depth. Jon Skeet, published by Manning (and make sure you get the recently published 2nd edition).

Looks like these two books will provide me with a good introduction...
Thanks for the help.

Hi I am using right now the following "C # 2008 for Programmers: Deitel® Developer Series, Third Edition", I am really satisfy with it, very easy to follow and perfect to start C# from the beginning.

HR

Saying that Pro C# 2010 and .NET framework is a bad introduction for the three letters based (abbrev) C# language reveals that the opinion comes from a reader who has never read the book mentioned.

Back