• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What kind of Quant roles are available for CS undergraduates?

Delft/Eindhoven/Twente?

Can't resist it but in the 020 area they say Delft is world-famous in Delft.

The late cabratier Ton Hermans used to have a joke about his daughter gong to Delft,... to Delft ... to Delft ... punch line.. slaolie fabriek. LOL

Seriously, what is your maths and can you program? C++ is handy as is Python. AFAIK Java is done at 015?

Do you want to go to USA or stay in Europe?

Last edited:
The late cabratier Ton Hermans used to have a joke about his daughter gong to Delft,... to Delft ... to Delft ... punch line.. slaolie fabriek. LOL

Seriously, what is your maths and can you program? C++ is handy as is Python. AFAIK Java is done at 015?

Do you want to go to USA or stay in Europe?

Last edited:
I might opt for a course on Complexity Theory, and maybe Cryptography.
Not sure if these are on the critical path.

I might opt for a course on Complexity Theory, and maybe Cryptography.
Not sure if these are on the critical path.
These are kind of the only math courses we can take (in addition to the ones I mentioned), unless you count a minor in math, which is great but many students go for internships instead.

Last edited:
These are kind of the only math courses we can take (in addition to the ones I mentioned), unless you count a minor in math, which is great but many students go for internships instead.
In my opinion these topics are not maths, but discrete maths and/or applications of maths. There are nice to know of course.

You need calculus++ and real/numerical analysis IMO.

In my opinion these topics are not maths, but discrete maths and/or applications of maths. There are nice to know of course.

You need calculus++ and real/numerical analysis.
Alright, calc and analysis. But then what, what sort of quant routes would be possible / would an undergraduate in this case be sufficient for that specific route?

Guys don't get me wrong, this is all great advise, I really appreciate it. But my main question still stands as to what sort of possible quant routes are possible with just an undergrad.

Guys don't get me wrong, this is all great advise, I really appreciate it. But my main question still stands as to what sort of possible quant routes are possible with just an undergrad.
Ok, then, my 2 cents. I am not an employer but my guess "junior developer", I reckon very good programming skills.
There are very many CS people out there..

Last edited:
Speaking of Delft, my son is a drummer in a metal group. One of the lead guitarists is a recent BSc CS graduate from Delft. So, I have a rough idea
of what is taught.

Last edited:
Hey Daniel, I posted this thread in order to get a general idea of quant roles that don't have an emphasis on research. I really do appreciate your input as to what mathematics are important. But, if it's one thing I hate to see when I browse through threads and articles is when they don't satisfy the title, so I decided I should probably delete it in order to save confusion for people who are actually looking for something similar.

@your son
It was then when a friend of mine, who is a lead singer of a small pop band asked me if I liked his music, that I realized, as boring as it sounds, that I only like mainstream music 😂. Nevertheless I would've loved to play an instrument, even though it never really spoke to me.

I still don't understand why this thread has been mutilated. Why not leave it to people to determine if it is relevant or not.

I still don't understand why this thread has been mutilated. Why not leave it to people to determine if it is relevant or not.
No offense, but I gave my reason. If it differs from yours, then we must both accept it. It is normal for someone to avoid doing something he doesn't like others to do. So again, I don't like clicking on articles or threads and reading through it all without getting a proper response, which is what happened to this thread.

Au contraire, I did give what I thought you might be able to do (IT developer) based on the skills you mention. In the traditional quant dev area at least your maths is missing. But ask around. A job in front office is a bridge too far, but I could be wrong.

With CS and the ML courses why not try non-finance companies like Google etc..?

BTW what is your compelling reason to get into finance? That's a very important question.

Last edited:
Au contraire, I did give what I thought you might be able to do (IT developer) based on the skills you mention. In the traditional quant dev area at least your maths is missing. But ask around. A job in front office is a bridge too far, but I could be wrong.
He/She didn't like your answer (just speculation).

Last edited:
Back