• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What Master's Degree is Best to Get into Quant w/Finance Undergrad Degree?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking into pursuing a career in quant. I have an undergrad finance degree and am currently in a certificate program where I am learning C++. I was wondering if there are any feasible paths into quant w/my credentials (through a master's program or some certificate program). Most MFE type programs seem to have extensive pre-reqs that I don't have (I only have course experience in pre-calc and applied calc, and econometrics/intro to stats in terms of math). What's the most feasible- if any- way to get into quant w/o these pre-reqs and without going back to undergrad?

Thanks for the help.

How much linear algebra / machine learning experience do you have? Assuming none, it won’t be feasible to get a good job as a quant. So I recommend going for a masters in cs, take a bunch of math/ ml courses while you’re in the cs program and you’re set. Your certificate, depending on the coursework, should have you at a good enough spot to apply for these programs

How much linear algebra / machine learning experience do you have? Assuming none, it won’t be feasible to get a good job as a quant. So I recommend going for a masters in cs, take a bunch of math/ ml courses while you’re in the cs program and you’re set. Your certificate, depending on the coursework, should have you at a good enough spot to apply for these programs
Thanks for the reply. I'm honestly doing the certificate program for the experience given and not really planning on passing the program (I work 40 hours a week job rn so spending more than a couple hours per day is difficult- I plan to quit this job to attend a masters though). I don't have much, if any, linear algebra and machine learning. How is a statistics masters viewed for quant?

Back