• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin What matters most on applications? (beyond the grades)

How heavily are relavent intern positions/work experience weighted at MIT (or MFin programs in general)?
I'm a Jr now and I spent last summer splitting time between RBC Wealth Mgt and their Bond desk in SF. This spring im going abroad and I will be studying (part time) at Oxford and working full-time at Citi (on a Bond desk) in London. This summer is undertimined but through some connections I will probably be in NYC at RBC Capital Markets.
Im majoring in Fnance and Accounting at a top 10 B-School. (GPA 3.71/4). Im also a student athlete (Varsity Football).

Beyond my normal B-School courses Ive taken 2 prob/stats courses, Calc II-III, a Mathmatical Finance course (heavy in Prob theory), and econometrics. My Sr year I plan on taking Matrix agebra and an additional Course in Prob/Stats (calc based). I know I don't have any programming exp but I thought I might take a couple of summer classes before any program I might attend

I havent taken the GMAT/GRE yet but my GPA seems a little low for MIT so I'm hoping my work experience would be a plus.
Beyond MIT what programs would be a good fit for my background?
Thanks

A lot of applicants with lower GPA got admitted to MIT MFin.

You should check Quantnet tracker.

I have looked at the tracker. I have also seen MITs website and talked to people in the program and the consensus is that the avg GPA is quite high and more and more people are applying. I have seen lower GPAs but there is probably a reason why they got in with a lower GPA , something that is different, such as work experience. This is why I ask this question

When you have 1441 applicants, it's easy to select 175 students who have high GPA. There are things you can't control much after the fact such as GPA, GRE score, etc but there are many important factors that will affect your chance, such as essay, letter of recommendation, interview, etc.
I'd say you should focus on that and make sure people read your application will remember you. You have to convince everyone, including yourself that MIT (or any other programs you will apply) that you are the perfect match for each other.

Back