• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What should I expect if I graduate from the University of Toronto program?

Hello guys, I just got accepted to the MG program at the UofT and I am not sure of what to do? What should I expect if I join the program in terms of expected salary and job opportunities once I graduate. I am a little bit scared because there was one old post saying that the program was a scam. Could anybody here give me a more actualize insight about this program please? Thanks

Same here! I was ready to accept the offer.... Now not so sure.....did they tell you you have to give them the deposit by march 2nd?>

I am a little bit scared because there was one old post saying that the program was a scam.

As far as I know, it's another second-tier program. That means it's chancy in today's tough job market. Buyer beware.

Sadly, my only quant experience (aside from freelance consulting) has been in Canada. My experiences have been completely at odds with what I read, here and on Wilmott, about being a quant.

MMF has 100% intern placement rate and employment placement rate. Most graduates work in risk management, seeming that pay is more or less lower than front office jobs.

MMF has 100% intern placement rate and employment placement rate. Most graduates work in risk management, seeming that pay is more or less lower than front office jobs.
What would be considered front office jobs? THX

Sadly, my only quant experience (aside from freelance consulting) has been in Canada. My experiences have been completely at odds with what I read, here and on Wilmott, about being a quant.
What have been you r experience doing quant in Canada? Can you elaborate? THX

It is only a mediocre program. Go to a US or UK program if you can. Most students here are doing risk management. You will see a salary ceiling of around 85K CAD after working a few years. THe Canadian dollars have suffered from depreciation. SO if you are an international student, you will also need to consider it. Most jobs upon graduation are contracts rather than permanent... Many people get only 50K Canadian dollars per year after graduation... and after Canadian high tax, how much will you take home? do the math~~~

Last edited:
It is only a mediocre program. Go to a US or UK program if you can. Most students here are doing risk management. You will see a salary ceiling of around 85K CAD after working a few years. THe Canadian dollars have suffered from depreciation. SO if you are an international student, you will also need to consider it. Most jobs upon graduation are contracts rather than permanent... Many people get only 50K Canadian dollars per year after graduation... and after Canadian high tax, how much will you take home? do the math~~~
I see~ Thanks for the post!

As far as I know, it's another second-tier program. That means it's chancy in today's tough job market. Buyer beware.

Oh wow now I'm worried. Where is the cutoff in the list between top tier, "worth it" programs and programs that just aren't worth it?

Oh wow now I'm worried. Where is the cutoff in the list between top tier, "worth it" programs and programs that just aren't worth it?

There is no clear dividing line between top tier and second tier -- rather it shades away from top tier to second tier. Carnegie-Mellon, Baruch and Haas are undoubtedly in the top tier. Add on another four or five or six or seven programs that belong with them (opinions on the number vary, indicating you're entering the murky terrain between top tier and second tier). This discussion would be moot if there were ample jobs around. But there aren't. So choosing wisely and getting admitted to a top program becomes figuratively a life-and-death issue.

There is no clear dividing line between top tier and second tier -- rather it shades away from top tier to second tier. Carnegie-Mellon, Baruch and Haas are undoubtedly in the top tier. Add on another four or five or six or seven programs that belong with them (opinions on the number vary, indicating you're entering the murky terrain between top tier and second tier). This discussion would be moot if there were ample jobs around. But there aren't. So choosing wisely and getting admitted to a top program becomes figuratively a life-and-death issue.

Hey bigbadwolf, I see you failed to mention Columbia as a top tier school. What's your opinion of Columbia? It's the only US institution to which I've applied and I already have an offer from Imperial College London for the RMFE course. May I also hear your opinion on this?

Hey bigbadwolf, I see you failed to mention Columbia as a top tier school. What's your opinion of Columbia? It's the only US institution to which I've applied and I already have an offer from Imperial College London for the RMFE course. May I also hear your opinion on this?

It's up there. With regard to Imperial, I can't say. In general the British programs try to squeeze too much into too little time and the emphasis tends to be on theory rather than computing and coding. Also keep in mind that subsequent work placement in the UK will be very hard, maybe not possible, because of the tightening that the Cameron government has instituted on post-study work experience.

It's up there. With regard to Imperial, I can't say. In general the British programs try to squeeze too much into too little time and the emphasis tends to be on theory rather than computing and coding. Also keep in mind that subsequent work placement in the UK will be very hard, maybe not possible, because of the tightening that the Cameron government has instituted on post-study work experience.
What r ur thought s on Chicago's program?

Back