• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What should my MFE targets be?

I'm just finishing up my junior year so I want to get a scope of where I should be looking for MFE programs after school. I'm at a mid level ACC school where I am a D1 athlete. I'm studying Statistics and Computer Science and I'll also have minors in Econ and Math. I'll end up with about a 3.65 GPA, but about a 3.9 GPA in my major coursework. I decided to study and take the GRE a bit early but I got a 170Q / 166V. As far as experience, I had a sophomore year data science internship at a large manufacturing company and I'll be working as a SWE in FAANG this summer. I will also have completed 3 ML/QR research projects at the time of my application and worked as a research assistant with a math professor doing some QR at my school.

I know at the end of the day that I should choose a school that is the best fit for my situation, but as far as preparing for applications, I'm wondering what I should set my sights on for an MFE program as far as safeties, targets, and reaches.

You have a good profile for a college junior. Stats and CS are great major to have. As evident by your SWE internship, this sets you up nicely for a career in FAANG or related industry.
To get into finance which is highly competitive, make sure your coding skills are really good. I had a CS/Math double major and the programming courses are very basic. You can take a look at the syllabus for QuantNet C++ courses to have an idea of what you should know by the time you interview for your quant internship.
It's imperative to learn your options theory which is a cornerstone course for all MFE programs as far as I can remember. We make an online options quiz to test your options knowledge. You can get books to learn it too. Hull's is a popular text.
To pick the right MFE program, it's easy to make a mistake without proper research. It does not help that there is a huge lack of important data out there.
There is a huge gulf between the top programs and the bottom.
Use QuantNet to do your research, there are lot of valuable information and contributors here that you won't find anywhere else.

Back