Where should Imperial rank among these US colleges?

• Thread starter Thread starter Kritin
  • Start date Start date
Hi! I need help creating a preference order for these colleges based on employment prospects:
  • Baruch College
  • NYU - mathematics in finance
  • University of Michigan
  • Imperial College London
  • Columbia University
  • Carnegie Mellon University (CMU)
  • University of Chicago
  • Georgia Tech
Given that Baruch and NYU are my top choices due to their location and opportunities, could someone help rank the rest of these universities based on employment prospects? I'm particularly curious about where Imperial College London should fit in my preferences, considering it's in the UK. At what point would you recommend considering Imperial over US universities like Georgia Tech or University of Chicago? Looking to understand the trade-offs between pursuing education in the US versus UK, especially in terms of job opportunities and career growth.

It would be tough to compare UK vs US programs directly. This comes down to where you see yourself working and living for the next 5-10 years.
The way I see it, US programs have massive edge on the location and number of job opportunities, specially quantitative finance jobs. You can have a back office risk, reporting jobs to a front office trading crypto. The variety of job types is unrivaled anywhere.
The cons is the cost of living, education and the tough competition to get in the industry. There are thousands of quant students graduate each year.

The UK programs are not career services oriented as the US programs. This means unless you go to the UK programs with a top reputation and an established network, you are on your own. Tuition is much less, program is only one year, salary is lower and cost of living may be as high as NYC if you live in London.

I would focus on getting into all these programs first and have this discussion then. The choice may be easier if say you get into Imperial and Michigan.
Do you like fish/chip and rain/foggy weather?

Back