• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Where's the money?

Do PhDs from scientific background ( math or physics) stand a better chance? I know that millionaire quant is difficult but can you start as a quant and get to better positions? I mean, start quant end up as manager. I got a PhD in Applied Math and an MBA from the best university in latin america. Got a job at JP Morgan Latin America and will hopefully move to NY next year

No matter what job you land you will max out before 200k. Once you get to VP and SVP you can earn more. In a bank obviously MD make much more. So its not about the job, its about your performance and how well/often you gain promotions.

Do PhDs from scientific background ( math or physics) stand a better chance? I know that millionaire quant is difficult but can you start as a quant and get to better positions? I mean, start quant end up as manager. I got a PhD in Applied Math and an MBA from the best university in latin america. Got a job at JP Morgan Latin America and will hopefully move to NY next year
What will you bring to the bottom line of your employer? Can you quantify your contribution to their PnL?
To be frank, there are many people with similar or better academic credentials trying to get an entry level job, or any job right now. I don't want anyone to understate the level of competition for finance jobs right now.

Back