• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which MSc's to apply for?

Hello everyone! This is my first post, although I have been browsing this forum for about a year now.

I would like your input on which MFE programs to apply to.

Here is a brief resume:
I am an electrical and computer engineer from Greece (5 years program of studies), specialized in electrical power systems. My disseration dwells on stochastic control.
GRE 153 verbal, 164 quant, 4 writting. TOEFL 111/120. Cambridge CPE.
I have 2 internships in web development (I do not like it however) and one as a project management assistant.
I am currently employed as a research engineer at a medium sized Greek engineering company. I have developed a multi-agent based simulator for power grids and a set of proprietary DM techniques for optimizing the automations of the power network by learning from data. All in MATLAB.
I am about to submit a paper on cross border electrical energy trading (Greece-Italy), utilizing wavelet analysis. I am also preparing a second paper on energy derivatives pricing for the same market (Black Scholes and autoregressive models).
I also know some C, python, php and MySQL.

I love applying engineering tools in a financial context. My interest in computational and mathematical sciences (data mining, machine learning, forecasting, stochastic control, complexity sciences, soft computing, agent based systems) is very deep and sincere. I am fixed on getting a PhD, eventually.
However, my GPA does not reflect this. I am expecting a 7.3/10, with an even worse average on math subjects (about 6.5/10).

So, to sum up. Bellow average academic performance, decent work experience as an engineer and academically minded.

My questions:
For which MFE programs do I have a decent chance of being accepted at, considering that I have lost most USA deadlines?
Maybe I am better off going for a CS or EE degree and specializing in FE with my PhD?

I have already applied at the Steven's MFE and for a PhD in intelligent systems from Delpht.

I hope this wasn't too long. I tried to compress it as much as possible.

should have done it sooner.
apply to the programs which still accept applications, wait and see.

Thank you both very much for your immediate replies.

I should probably clarify my initial question. I am not fixed on applying at a USA institution. To be honest, with a 7.3/10 I do not think I stand a chance at most programs (Columbia's math fin for example).
I am mostly considering Europe.
For example, based on my background do I stand a chance at being accepted at the programs below?
  • Imperial's math fin
  • UCL's math fin or MFERM
  • Warwick's math fin
  • Paris VI's probabilities and finance
  • EPFL's MFE
Should I consider programs like Delpht's App math or KU Leuven's math engineering?

I know my question is very generic, but I do not have anyone in my immediate cycle to ask advise from before reaching out to you. However, I have studied the forum extensively.

chances are low for everyone on for all these programs.
why are you considering Paris 6 though? do you speak french?

ultimately, your grades are good, they just aren't excellent. I think you should give it a shot, job experience can compensate for that somehow.

Your response was spot on.
I was wondering whether my chances were completely nonexistent or just slim.

I am considering the Paris 6 because of the math reputation of the program. My French are very elementary. I though that if I focused on that during the summer I could perhaps cope with the program. I cannot make sense of the site. Is the entire program in French of just some of the subjects?

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm a native so I don't know how hard it is to learn french,
but 4 Months seems quite short to be able study a graduate degree in France (you might want to check that out first)
Yes from what I read the whole program is in french. If you're looking at MFIN programs in english located in france, you need to look at the Business schools there: HEC, ESSEC, EDHEC.
My final advice is to look at UK programs, and EPFL MFE only. forget france (lol).

Ok! Your advise is very helpful.
Geography is not an issue for me. Any country if fine. But since a French quant tells me to let go of French quant programs I will certainly do so.

The programs I mentioned in the UK are very competitive and my chances are slim at best. Do you have any advise on which programs to use for hedging?
Maybe King's College Math Fin, UMist's MFE, Edinburgh's Math Fin, Queen Mary's Math Fin or Bircbeck's MFE?

Lastly, what do you think about going for a degree like CS, ML or mathematical engineering, and specializing on FE as much as possible through meticulous course-picking and my dissertation.

I feel like I am asking a ton of question. I certainly hope that I am not abusing your willingness to help. This forum's input is critical to me.

"The programs I mentioned in the UK are very competitive and my chances are slim at best. Do you have any advise on which programs to use for hedging?
Maybe King's College Math Fin, UMist's MFE, Edinburgh's Math Fin, Queen Mary's Math Fin or Bircbeck's MFE?"

KCL Mathematical finance would be a decent edge, I can't tell you anything about the others.

"Lastly, what do you think about going for a degree like CS, ML or mathematical engineering, and specializing on FE as much as possible through meticulous course-picking and my dissertation."

That's a good idea only if you're open to other career paths in case getting into finance doesn't work out.
At the end of the day, if you do well and the degree is from a good school. I don't see why you wouldn't get job interviews.

Thank you for your advice TehRaio, your input is very helpful.
I am in the process of inquiring admission committees on various matters. After that I will form my final application list.
I will reach out for the forum's advice again after I receive the outcomes of my applications.

Any further feedback will be much appreciated.

Back