• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which PHD thread #2946375

Hi, some backround.

So I have a degree in Mathematical Physics and soon to have a masters in high performance computing.

My end goal is quantative analysis but first I want to pick up some tools to do interesting research.

I have to choose between a PHD in molecular dynamics (So lots of programming, stochastic simulation and some maths and plenty of physics).
or
A PHD in complex fuid flow. So I'm less familiar with this but it will involve fluid dynamics and soft matter obviously, bifurcation theory(and other non-linear dynamics), a lot more theoretical physics I would imagine and less programming.

So I would like to know, from the point of view of a potential Quants analyst employer, what would be a more beneficial decision for me to make to facilitate getting an interesting quantitative research job.

I am an awful lot more interested in processes and statistical correlations than I am about actual physics. At the moment the thing I want to learn most about is machine learning, so I'm have quite varied interests but it excites me that they're all used in financial modelling.

I appreciate any feedback, thanks.

I don't have much experience with these branches of physics and I'm not a quant. Simply by how you posed the question, it appears that you should choose molecular dynamics.

Thanks.

Yes perhaps you're right, I may be getting confused by the fact that the studentship for PHD #2 is almost twice that for #1.

I just imagined that it might be more suited for Quantative finance because there is more mathematical modelling and it looks like it would be more fundamental research. I'm definitely more afraid of PHD #2 but thats no reason not to do something.

I thought since quantative finance is my end goal, I'd let that parameter cast the final vote.

BUt your right I should probably just go with my gut, it is 4 years of my life.

Again, you may want conformation from an MFE student, but as long as you have completed the proper prerequisites and demonstrated quantitative ability, your major/Ph.D. thesis does not matter. I think you'll be fine; check out some student profiles, there are allot of Physics Ph.D.'s

Your PhD in itself may offer very little utility in term of getting you the job of your dream. The skillset you pick up along the way may have the best return of investment.
Why not set out on finding what the master of HP computing offers in term of job opportunity.
Doing a PhD just to get a job in finance in the end sounds just wrong and a big waste of time. You see many people with PhD in Physics doing MFE but it's a different story. They already got a PhD so it's not like they are redoing a PhD again.
Measure twice and cut once. You only have so much time.

Well, I'm doing the PHD as a life experience, because I like learning and I'm interested and it's nice to get paid to do research and discover, there is no career ambition behind it, I'm never gonna be desperate for money or status in my life anyway. I think maybe I'm less career orientated than some others, I mean I take all the aspects of my life holistically and plan for the balance I want. Perhaps that means I don't have the drive or ambition to succeed in certain paths.
So four years isn't an investment for me, it is what I would want to do given unlimited resources. It is what I want to be doing in the moment not just as a stepping stone.I don't have any inclination to enter academia either, I just want to give it four years.
I would like to give quantitive finance a shot someday also, mostly because I like the idea that there are competing teams of intellegent people trying to accurately model a volatile system and make predictions, I mean it doesn't get more exciting than that, like that is a dream job for me.

Maybe thats a naive view, it probably is. I mean time and years are very valuable but it's not like 26 will be over the hill, though personal circumstances can never be predicted. But thats life.It is still an ambition and has always been in the back of my mind. I think I'll do molecular dynamics anyway for what it's worth, I mean it's what I want to go and read about right now, that and machine learning which will have to wait. I'll be happy while I'm interested.

Thanks for your replies.

Back