• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which phone are you using?

Ok so which phones are you guys using?

This question is specifically for the employed guys.

I wonder whether all of you use Blackberry or there is some market for Android/IPhone in the corporate world?

Do mention
1) The model name
2) The OS with its version

I used to have a BB when I was with HSBC. Was great at the time. Now I have an Iphone and simply could not go back. I am think RIM is slowly becoming the next palm. More banks are moving toward the Iphone or possibly Android. Once that market cracks blackberry is going to be up a creek.

I am using a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 powered by Android. I was about to buy a BB but decided not to and I think I made the correct choice :D .

For work I am using BB Curve 8520 since it is free. I personally hate that particular model, and because of that leaning towards disliking BB in general (how come rim can create such a device?); however, I did not try any other model. For personal use, I have Motorola Droid, and I absolutely love it. Never tried iPhone, I never really caught apple fever virus :) .....

RIM is getting left behind and they knew it. It acquired QNX, an operating system company for handheld device.
The Blackberry OS is showing its age. Does anyone moving from BB to an Android device comment on the email system and keyboard? I think those are the two areas where BB made its name and reasons why I was drawn to it.

I have not owned a BB as such but have tried almost all of their devices except the new BB torch. Most of my friends have a BB.

Now I am using an android phone.

The thing is that
1) The email works just as fine on android as on a BB OS

2) Keyboard - Now thats a different situation all together. I kind of did a survey on this in India. The conclusion of the survey was.

Most of the people below the age of 30 years preferred a touch screen keyboard and said that after a day or two, or by downloading a 3rd party keyboard, they did not have any concerns about the android keyboard and found it very convenient.

30-40 year old guys had mixed opinions about android and BB.

40 year olds and above heavily preferred the BB physical keyboard. They say that a physical keyboard gives them more of a feel and control while typing where as they made a lot of typos while using an android keyboard.

However, most of the regular users of BB unanimously say they would not shift to any other brand because of only one reason.

The presence of BBM in the BB phones and its absence in other devices.

Their reasoning is that they use it as their prime mode of communication and gossip with family and friends. BB owners feel that If they shift brands then they will lose out on socializing with friends and family.

I have been using a blackberry for 4 years but I will move to IPhone if I get the physical keyboard. BBM is good too but I think I can convert to whatsapp or something like that If I like the phone enough.

I have been using a blackberry for 4 years but I will move to IPhone if I get the physical keyboard. BBM is good too but I think I can convert to whatsapp or something like that If I like the phone enough.
There are Android powered phones that give you both the touch screen and the keyboard. My original Moto Droid is like that as well, even though I rarely use the physical keyboard.

I just ordered Samsung Intercept | Virgin Mobile

samsungintercept.png

Can't beat unlimited internet + texting + android for $25 a month, even if the phone isn't amazing. I just need it to check email and send text messages anyway.

HTC Incredible with Android Froyo (2.2). Love it! I quickly adapted to the touch screen keyboard. Easy access to all my email accounts - particularly gmail. Runs all the awesome Google apps and that Facebook/Twitter/etc. sh!t. :)

What generally are recommended Android and BB models out there right now?

Recommended Android phones:
1) A bunch of premium HTC Phones such as Desire 2, Droid incredible and Evo
2) Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

Recommended BB Phones:
1) BB Torch 9800
2) BB Bold 9700

I got my new phone :) Not the beastliest Android phone out there, but it gets me where I need to go, and is cheap.

The reception is comparable to T-Mobile's, no complaints there. Main complaint thus far is that Skype app is buggy

However, unlimited internet appears to be truly unlimited and fast enough to satisfy me (for $25 lol... did I mention my bill was >$30 on T-Mobile for a shared plan with my parents and no internet at all?). Waiting for my number to switch networks so I can test calling and messaging.

Back