• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Why didn't I take economics?

Quantnet community,

Hi, I am looking for a book that will help me to prepare for a first course in econometrics.

In one week I will graduate with a BS in mathematics, but I haven't taken a single course on economics. I am seeking a book, the shorter the better, that will help me to prepare for econometrics I. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!!

Yes, I've recently heard about these programs, and I plan on enrolling in the introductory finance course offered by U Michagan.

I hope the courses are designed so that students are not able to cheat, otherwise the credibility of Coursera and edX will diminsih and consequently many students will have wasted their time.

Thank you for your reply llyak, however I am still curious about how I should prepare for an econometrics course.

Yeah, metrics requires stats and some probability but econ shouldn't really be a prerequisite.

Econometrics isn't about economics, common sens will suffice.
Disagree. That's like saying that English isn't about literature, it's about grammar and syntax. That's technically true, but without context it's much less meaningful. You can learn all about OLS and GLS, but yo really need to understand how those tools have been used to be effective.

Ahhhhh, this is excellent.

Thanks for the insight Gordon and Zeuge!

This was in my opinion the worst insight into an economectrics course that could have been given to someone coming from a math background. If you walk into an econometrics course and think all you're there for is statistical programming then you have wasted your time.

I don't know how it is at other universities but at mine I was blessed with a great professor and she made it explicit that this course was not just about the programming and statistics. The reason it is a high level economics class is because you're supposed to take all the understanding you have about economics and apply them. If you think you're there for statistical programming why wouldn't you take a course in the computer science or math department?

Econometrics is applied statistics. When you have learned the econometrics' theory, you are free to apply it to economic data, or financial data... You can also (and people do) use it for biology, physics, etc. (even though people would call it biometrics or whatever).

The economics I have used in my econometrics courses are among the lines of "the more education you get, the higher your salary" or "if you're male you're more likely to have a high salary than if you are female".

Of course econometrics is pointless without its applications. It's a science designed to create relations in data. And econometrics is also designed for applications in economic data (if you're interested in biology, learn biometrics, but the content - at least the basics - will be exactly the same).

In fact, econometrics is divided between non-structural (or reduced form) econometrics and structural econometrics. Chances are you will learn reduced-form econometrics, that is for example examine the link between wages and education. You don't need theory for this. On the contrary, structural econometrics aims at validating or rejecting specifications from the economic theory. Structural econometrics is only useful if you're interested in macro/microeconomic theory.

Anyway, if you take courses in econometrics, it must be because you're interested in either economics or a field closely related to economics (finance for example). But for the basics you won't need economic theory. Now if you want to graduate with a master in econometrics, that's something else.

So I admit I spoke too fast, you will indeed need "common economic sense". But in my opinion, knowledge in economic theory is not required.

I reread the OP and I have to say that I spoke too fast as well. Considering that the OP has no economic background, it doesn't make much sense to take econometrics without any of the context. You can do well in metrics without any econ (in fact stats majors probably do quite a bit better than econ majors in general) but without understanding the applications its a pretty pointless exercise.

I reread the OP and I have to say that I spoke too fast as well. Considering that the OP has no economic background, it doesn't make much sense to take econometrics without any of the context. You can do well in metrics without any econ (in fact stats majors probably do quite a bit better than econ majors in general) but without understanding the applications its a pretty pointless exercise.

Y = [(C + I + G) + (X - M)]
and
MR = MC

Become one with those.

Yes it is widely used in economic theory, especially in microeconomics theory (industrial organization). It figures among the fundamental relations. But economic theory aims at modeling the behavior of economic agents, not precisely forecast economic data, so no one will actually use MR = MC for econometrics

I am unclear on whether or not you are planning on taking any econometric courses in the future or if you want to just study the material on your own. However I was in a similar position one semester ago since i wanted to take econometrics this winter and wanted to prepare myself for it beforehand during the winter break. I posted a question on quantnet for good suggestions for econometrics books http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/good-econometrics-book.8330/#post-78087; there were some good responses. I admit i only checked out the wooldridge and gujurati text because by the time the other responses were posted i was already a chapter or two into gujurati and i didn't feel like switching so the other suggestions might be worth to look into.
Also as someone who is doing one of his majors in economics I don't think you would be at a disadvantage taking econometrics without and macro/micro theory courses, however i tend to agree with some of the above comments as to the fact that some economic theory courses might give you a better understanding of the applications of the course.
Sorry for the long reply.

You use it all the time to provide intuition to the innumerate. It's certainly the way I learned this stuff.

I learnt it as a teenager but in reality the curve for total cost is not concave upwards nor is the curve for total revenue concave downwards. If memory serves, Steve Keen demolishes this (and many other economics arguments) in Debunking Economics, but I'm too tired to pull the book out of my stacks to check.

I learnt it as a teenager but in reality the curve for total cost is not concave upwards nor is the curve for total revenue concave downwards. If memory serves, Steve Keen demolishes this (and many other economics arguments) in Debunking Economics, but I'm too tired to pull the book out of my stacks to check.
In that case, Steve Keen is simply a better, smarter, and undoubtedly better-looking human than I, who simply rely on simple, intuitive notions.

I tremble before his awesomeness.

Back