• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

why MFE applicants are inclined towards GRE and not towards GMAT ?

Most suitable entrance test for MFE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you observed "Tracker", almost all applicant have opted for GRE. Why is it so when most of the MFE's school accepts GMAT score as well.

If you observed "Tracker", almost all applicant have opted for GRE. Why is it so when most of the MFE accepts GMAT score as well.
I don't know if most is the right word, but definitely many accept GMAT. However, ALL accept GRE, so why not take the GRE?

I took GRE once when I was applying for my Master's. The verbal part was so insane. I'm not a native english speaker though.
So it's really difficult for people like me to score over 500:(
Anyway i got just 250 in verbal part at that time. That was sad.
But I've heard that GMAT is easier in the verbal part. not so sure about this.

I took GRE once when I was applying for my Master's. The verbal part was so insane. I'm not a native english speaker though.
So it's really difficult for people like me to score over 500:(
Anyway i got just 250 in verbal part at that time. That was sad.
But I've heard that GMAT is easier in the verbal part. not so sure about this.

GRE verbal is really a nightmare for international students.

You haven't read any MFE applications then. I routinely see applicants from China/India with very high verbal scores and low AWA. I saw someone with 800V/800Q/3AWA
The average seem to be in the high 500s Verbal and 3-3.5 for AWA. When you put the verbal scores of international students and native American, they will put the later group to shame. It's about the test taking technique which the former group has done quite well.

All of these will be irrelevant as the new GRE test will come out and who knows how they score.

The fee to take the GMAT is $250.

http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/schedule-a-gmat-appointment/pay-for-the-test.aspx

The fee for the GRE is $160 (in the USA), $190 elsewhere.

And, if you're among the first "guinea pigs" to try the "new" GRE during August or September 2011, you can take it for $80.

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/discount

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/about/fees/

http://www.ets.org/gre/general/about/fees/

That's a good reason to take the GRE rather than the GMAT...

simple..
GRE is much easier..especially the quant..and reasoning skills are not tested anywhere on the GRE...GMAT is a very good overall test. i have taken both 1450GRE and 710 GMAT..its easier to get a 1400+ score in GRE than a 700+ score in GMAT..

Dude the GRE Verbal is hard for native speakers (like me). Luckily it is not as important for MFE programs. It might be more important for international students though since communication is a concern.

I think for 2 reasons
1) more schools accept GRE.
2) GRE Q section is easier than that of GMAT.

By the way, in some countries where they only offer paper GRE exam, it is even harder to get 500+ verbal.
Therefore, many people fly to adjacent countries to take the computerized one.

I regret not having written my GRE. I had written it during my bachelors , like 4 years back and scored 1250. I gave my GMAT in Nov 2009 and scored 690(48 q, 37 v). I would say GMAT is a very interesting exam, much more fun than the GRE!! but not all colleges accept GMAT so i would suggest everyone to write GRE to pursue MFE.

Back