• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

will the admission committee know how many programs I applied

Hi, my professor told me that the admission committee will actually know what other programs I have applied, because many of the programs share information.
Is this true?
Because I don't want to tell them what other programs I applied, will they find out and deny my admission because of this?

Why would you want to keep it a secret?
Why I want to tell them?
I am afraid that there is some bias here if I told them other schools I am applying.
Tier 2 school may think that I want to go to Tier 1, so they won't admit me.
Tier 1 school may think that I already have some safe schools, so they it doesn't matter if they deny me.
For schools at the same tier, they may think that I am undecided to which program. If they admit me, but I did not go, it will decrease their enrollment rate. Thus, they may tend to deny me.

How many programs are you going to apply ? Are they all MFE or also OR programs (like Columbia MSOR or Stanford MS&E)?

Why I want to tell them?
I am afraid that there is some bias here if I told them other schools I am applying.
Tier 2 school may think that I want to go to Tier 1, so they won't admit me.
Tier 1 school may think that I already have some safe schools, so they it doesn't matter if they deny me.
For schools at the same tier, they may think that I am undecided to which program. If they admit me, but I did not go, it will decrease their enrollment rate. Thus, they may tend to deny me.
They already know you're applying to other schools though - it's common sense to apply to many. It's not going to come as a surprise to them. Lying, on the other hand, is just asinine.

Ok and if you apply to Mfe's but also to an OR program. For instance, if you apply to 4 "classic" MFE programs (CMU, NYU, Baruch, Mit) , and the MS&E program in Stanford. Is it a problem?

Last edited:
Everyone worries about this, and some even go so far as attempt to lie about which schools they've applied to. The worst thing you can do is lie since they might share info. Just be honest. Don't worry about it. I applied to like 6 and got multiple acceptance, as well as most everyone in MFE programs right now. I also know people who applied to MFE programs as well as CS programs, and other not so related fields. Admissions committees all think their school is the best, and they think that if they accept you, you'll choose them. I even got some scholarship--probably because the schools wanted to make sure they secure top talent. Don't worry about it. Just be truthful. Don't worry about it. And make sure not to worry so much.

What you should be worrying about is whether you are good enough to get accepted.

Back