• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Would a minor in French boost my application?

As stated above, I was wondering if the french minor would boost my MFE applications, or if I should focus on more industry relevant areas, like research or ML projects. I was also wondering how much these extracurriculars matter?

Everybody speaks English. Anglo-Saxons, for example (~ native English speakers) are notoriously woeful at foreign languages.
Do you wish to work in France?

C++ would be a better language to learn.

Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor: "To God I speak Spanish, to women Italian, to men French, and to my horse—German."

Last edited:
If anything, it would be an immediate reject in my eyes. :ROFLMAO:

All joking aside, the language would only really help if you plan to work in a country that speaks that language in the future. It wouldn't affect your application meaningfully. Learning a programming language like C++ and/or Python would boost your application much more!

As a French speaking person, unfortunately none the only benefit i have is it opens me up to French recruiters looking for French speakers to work in the France or someone who is native in both language (English and French) to work and unless you plan on working in France or Canada. It is of no use unless it is part of your job requirement.

Back