• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Would you go work in Asia?

Would you consider working in Asia?

• Hell yes. It's the place to be.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Maybe. If the offer is right.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No way. I'm staying put.

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
The answer would probably be a resounding YES among people who have family ties in the region. But if you are not in that demographic, would you be adventurous enough to go work and live there?
Take a poll and let us know.

More Job-Seekers Hitch Ride on Asian Economy - NYTimes.com

But growth in China, India, South Korea and many other countries in the region is outpacing that of Europe and the United States. Many local companies are enjoying rapid expansion, while international employers are shifting positions to Asia and are hiring again. So increasingly, European and American job seekers are hoping that Asia is a place where opportunities match their ambitions.

I know that my cousin went to Singapore to work for Barclays as a trader.
After a little less than 2 years, he's back in the U.S. Draw your own conclusions :P

Andy: Yes, it was of his own volition. He didn't like being half a world away from everyone he knew. (That, and with the market conditions he wasn't likely going to get the significant bonus/raise he was hoping for)

With asian countries developping, I think some of the financial "attention" will shift to asia over the next decades. I'd love to be there when that happens.

I answered maybe because if I was offered a better offer in the US/Europe I would probably take it. But all else equal I would go to Asia, would be an amazing adventure (for the record I have no Asian heritage and when I visited China I was the tall white guy people wanted to take a picture with).

In my opinion even if you were only there for a few years, the international experience would be worthwhile both from a personal growth perspective and a resume builder perspective.

Haha... yes, taxes are low. However, if you're a U.S citizen, don't you still pay U.S taxes? I may be wrong on this one.

Haha... yes, taxes are low. However, if you're a U.S citizen, don't you still pay U.S taxes? I may be wrong on this one.

You have to cross a threshold of around $80,000 in annual income (I don't remember the exact figure) before you as an American expat become liable for US taxes.

Andy: Yes, it was of his own volition. He didn't like being half a world away from everyone he knew.

I would have to agree with this. Being an ocean away from friends and family and having to start over in a foreign country is [in my opinion] usually not worth the opportunity, unless you sincerely intend on staying in that country for the rest of your life or have little to lose by leaving your present one (scenarios where relocating makes sense in my mind usually involve colossal social and economic collapse of countries... or marriage... :P ).

Back