• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Yale AM (With 15K Dean Scholarship) vs. Columbia MSBA

YALE AM with Columbia MSBA

• Total voters
I plan to join one of these programs right after my undergraduate. I'm looking to work in PE or IB industry in the future. I still have difficulty in choosing these two program. Here are the pros and cons that I can think of.

YALE AM:
Pros:
1. smaller and more selective class size (50ish students). Approximately 2% acceptance rate according to Wikipedia. (Highly doubt it)
2. program is very unique and is strongly connected with asset management firms.
3. possibility of working in the Yale endowment office.
4. School's brand is better than that of Columbia

Cons:
1. Fairly new program. (no clue about its track record)
2. Location

Columbia MSBA:
Pros:

1. Can take classes from both Columbia's Engineering School and Business School
2. It's in New York

Cons:
1. heard about their career service is not good
2. harder to break into IB and PE with this master
3. class size is large. Not as selective as Yale AM.

Why would it be harder to break into IB and PE with Columbia MSBA - you don't need graduate education to get into banking. If you want to get into PE, you need a good record and connections in banking. So banking -> PE, but masters -> banking -> PE is not required. In other words, take what interests you the most - both programs are extra credit.

Hello, sorry this is unrelated. I’ve been waitlisted for Yale AM, when do they require you to reply by?

Did you end up choosing Yale or Columbia? I feel like both of them would be pretty good.

Back