• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Compare UChicago MSFM *vs* Columbia MA Stat *vs* Washington CFRM with scholarship

Currently pretty confused with my decision making. I'm statistics major undergraduate.
Hope to pursue data analytic and quant career path.

New York has a lot opportunities but the Columbia STAT program seems in bad fame and accept over 100 students for this single program every year.

Chicago is also a huge metro, but the class offered in this program is going to accommodate around 150 students and south Chicago where UChicago locates is known for its violation and drug.

U Washington is a very friendly school with patient and excellent instructors. What's more it provide me financial aid. But it is very R emphasized without much cover in C programing and seattle is not so good for job seeking.

Your suggestion matters for me!!
Please help!
Sincerely

My ranking is:
UChicago
Columbia
UWashington

I think if you want to keep options open for quant career path in addition to data analysis, the MFE at UChicago might be a good stamp on your resume in regards to the finance department. Plus you were already a statistics undergrad so the MFE will help that diversify that a little bit instead of putting all your eggs in one basket. However, that being said, the UChicago program has gotten some negative reviews in recent years. I seem to recall reading a horrendous one on quantnet years back. I got in there as well but chose CMU over the others in the end. From my understanding, the curriculum is much more mathematical than most of the other MFE programs. Also, in terms of job placement, you probably won't receive the same assistance as more business-oriented schools. In this environment, I would definitely take that into account.

I don't know too much about the Columbia Stat program but I think the Columbia name in general has value. Could be an option.

UWashington might be a good bargain but considerably weaker in brand name vs. the other two schools. Financial aid is good but try not to make decisions based on money unless it's going to really going to strain you. There's a price to be paid to get the brand name.

Forget about data analytics. It normally requires CS or MBA degree. Go for Chicago. If you choose Columbia Stats, you have to compete with NYU FMs and Columbia MFE. A master degree of stats is not a good start for quant career ( I guess).Mfe graduates of U Chicago should dominate the job market of the city.

Go for Chicago. If you choose Columbia Stats, you have to compete with NYU FMs and Columbia MFE.

Chicago MSFM will have to compute with those as well, and more directly.

Where do you plan on working afterwards? Columbia has a stronger name globally. For example, if you're going to work in China, there are some advantages with the Columbia degree. But in general, UChicago degree will give you more options.

My ranking is:
UChicago
Columbia
UWashington

I think if you want to keep options open for quant career path in addition to data analysis, the MFE at UChicago might be a good stamp on your resume in regards to the finance department. Plus you were already a statistics undergrad so the MFE will help that diversify that a little bit instead of putting all your eggs in one basket. However, that being said, the UChicago program has gotten some negative reviews in recent years. I seem to recall reading a horrendous one on quantnet years back. I got in there as well but chose CMU over the others in the end. From my understanding, the curriculum is much more mathematical than most of the other MFE programs. Also, in terms of job placement, you probably won't receive the same assistance as more business-oriented schools. In this environment, I would definitely take that into account.

I don't know too much about the Columbia Stat program but I think the Columbia name in general has value. Could be an option.

UWashington might be a good bargain but considerably weaker in brand name vs. the other two schools. Financial aid is good but try not to make decisions based on money unless it's going to really going to strain you. There's a price to be paid to get the brand name.

Thank you buddy! This really help me.

Chicago MSFM will have to compute with those as well, and more directly.

Where do you plan on working afterwards? Columbia has a stronger name globally. For example, if you're going to work in China, there are some advantages with the Columbia degree. But in general, UChicago degree will give you more options.

I plan to work in US.

Big companies are tending to recruit nation-widely, I guess. Some hedge fund did campus recruitments and interview student in a lot good schools in US. However, location of Chicago is absolutely a big advantage to do part-time job.

In addition, I got another admission from Duke University (North Carolina), Master of Statistics and Economic Modeling. That's a very elite program, only 5 new students per year. Probably I can get more care from faculty and career service. But Durham, NC is not quite a good place for job hunting.
Hesitating.

Thank you!

Forget about data analytics. It normally requires CS or MBA degree.

It seems Data Analysis is not so widely used in quant jobs. Could you tell more about Data Analysis? Would this be a good choice if I don't choose quant path?

Hey buddy!

Could you help me about how did you get the sholarship? Did you get your sholarship accompanied with the admission email at the beginning? Or after you got the admission and argued with the committee?

I'm looking forward to your reply. It will really help me:)
Sincerely

Back