• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE 100% placement of December 2014 Baruch MFE gradautes

dstefan

Baruch MFE Director
As of March, 15, 2015, all the 19 December 2014 Baruch MFE graduates seeking employment in the financial industry received offers from financial companies from New York (19 graduates) and the rest of US (2 graduates). (At graduation, 17 of 19 students were placed.)

First Year Guaranteed Compensation - High: 180K; Low: 85K; Average: 115K; Median: 100K
First Year Starting Salary - High: 130K; Low: 75K; Average: 96K; Median: 95K
First Year Starting Salary for graduates with no relevant work experience - High: 125K; Low: 75K; Average: 96K; Median: 95K

More details, including companies employing our students can be found at http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/employment-stats
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/ba...or-december-2014-graduates.18275/#post-140448

And an important clarification on the last students having been placed: each one of the last two students had multiple offers to choose from, and their compensation was in the top third of the graduating class. In other words, all of our students are highly competitive on the job market, up to, and including, the last student who accepts an employment offer.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, Professor Stefanica.

The placement stats are so impressive. (y)

Thank you, Francis, but our graduates, and not the stats by themselves, are the ones who are exceedingly impressive!

hi i am undergraduate student in temple university for finance major at third year. i am quite interested in your program because your program is so great and with high reputation in all FE programs.but i weaken in Math and programming background, so i am planing to take some Math courses like linear algebra and Matlab at next semester to strengthen my background. Do i need to do other things to prepare before application?

hi i am undergraduate student in temple university for finance major at third year. i am quite interested in your program because your program is so great and with high reputation in all FE programs.but i weaken in Math and programming background, so i am planing to take some Math courses like linear algebra and Matlab at next semester to strengthen my background. Do i need to do other things to prepare before application?

Prerequisites. Applicants are required to have taken the following minimal set of courses:

• Calculus (two semesters)
  • Probability (one semester)
  • Linear Algebra (one semester)
  • C++ (one semester or certificate)
  • Finance (one semester, or relevant work experience)
Only courses passed with a grade of B or better qualify as prerequisites.

thank you. i just wonder that i have taken probability courses at high school, do i have to learn it again?

Hello Professor Stefanica, i am also planning to apply for Baruch MFE 2016. My background is the following:

B.E. in Chemical Engineering from CUNY City College, 2014.
GPA: 3.52,
GRE: 155Q, 150V.

I have the math background but I don't have any knowledge about finance/programming. However, I am taking Intro to C++ at City College and while it only goes over the basics of strings, arrays, vectors, pointers and recursion, I am not sure if that is enough to get started with the MFE. I can catch up with finance by taking a course for Spring semester. Currently I'm preparing to retake the GRE and strengthening my programming skills.

Given this information, what would you recommend in terms of how much preparation one needs to feel comfortable for the MFE and what do the admission officers consider more important: personal statement or GPA/GRE?

Hello Professor Stefanica, i am also planning to apply for Baruch MFE 2016. My background is the following:

B.E. in Chemical Engineering from CUNY City College, 2014.
GPA: 3.52,
GRE: 155Q, 150V.

I have the math background but I don't have any knowledge about finance/programming. However, I am taking Intro to C++ at City College and while it only goes over the basics of strings, arrays, vectors, pointers and recursion, I am not sure if that is enough to get started with the MFE. I can catch up with finance by taking a course for Spring semester. Currently I'm preparing to retake the GRE and strengthening my programming skills.

Given this information, what would you recommend in terms of how much preparation one needs to feel comfortable for the MFE and what do the admission officers consider more important: personal statement or GPA/GRE?

Come to an Information Session to discuss:
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/baruch-mfe-information-session-december-8-2015.22394/

Back