166 Quant GRE - What to do

So I had to rush preparation for the GRE for multiple reasons, just sat it and got Q166 V157. Obviously 166 is not ideal at all.

My top uni pics are Chicago, Cornell, Carnegia and Georgia Tech, so my question is, how bad is this score? How worth it is it to try again.

Thank You!

really depends on your profile... if your other stats are good, you have some relevant work experience and you have strong letter of rec it shouldn't matter imo. If your lacking in any of those areas though it might be worthwhile.

Additional info: I got into Cornell last year with a 166Q and I think 166Q would probs be sufficient at Georgia Tech too.... I got waitlisted with a 166Q at UChicago though. From what the UChicago admissions councilor told me, they only value it if you have a really really high score but don't ding you on it if it is lower. CMU might ding you on it, but only if you have below average stats in the other respective areas. Many people on QuantNet with lower GREs than you have gotten into CMU.

Last edited:
really depends on your profile... if your other stats are good, you have some relevant work experience and you have strong letter of rec it shouldn't matter imo. If your lacking in any of those areas though it might be worthwhile.

Additional info: I got into Cornell last year with a 166Q and I think 166Q would probs be sufficient at Georgia Tech too.... I got waitlisted with a 166Q at UChicago though. From what the UChicago admissions councilor told me, they only value it if you have a really really high score but don't ding you on it if it is lower. CMU might ding you on it, but only if you have below average stats in the other respective areas. Many people on QuantNet with lower GREs than you have gotten into CMU.
Thanks for the reply. Yea perhaps I should get a bit more work experience first and then apply for a masters (which isn't the norm here in NL), currently i only have a few months work experience, technical work but not specific to quantitative finance.

Thanks for the answer. Maybe Ill just do the GRE again hoping the questions are a bit kinder this time.

I am scared but only for my verbal score which is 146 and 168Q Like I am going to reappear for it but I am applied for georgia tech with this score for now and in the optional essay wrote the main reason why I messed up

I am scared but only for my verbal score which is 146 and 168Q Like I am going to reappear for it but I am applied for georgia tech with this score for now and in the optional essay wrote the main reason why I messed up
You should be fine, the only reason why the verbal score mattered to me is cause the scholarship I will be applying to (for Belgians) requires 155 155 minimum to be eligible.

GaTech has some recorded Q/A where they address the GRE Verbal question.

This discussion is a good example why many programs move away from GRE. Relying on the GRE to filter applicants is very convenient but top programs know they will miss good candidates.
Baruch MFE has their own QBA test. Other programs have their own criteria or waive the GRE.
GPA and how you perform in math courses during your undergrad may be a better signals.
Unfortunately, when you get into a pickle like this over a 166 Q, I don't have a good answer whether you should retake it. Just look at the pros/cons and see what makes sense.
I'm sure you have other aspects of your profile that you can highlight to impress the adcoms.

Back